Premed 101 Forums

Applying now for Fall 2007 - Questions, Answers, Discussion

Guest drcave

Guest drcave

Is anyone else out there filling out their online application for UBC MD Program 2007? It seems like there is no discussion right now about the application so I guess I'll initiate one. I hope this can be a topic where applicants (like me :P ) can post questions that will be answered by other applicants or successful applicants from previous years. If everyone numbers their questions sequentially {Q1, Q2, ....Qn} and replies {A1,A2,....An} then it will be easy to follow at at the end of it all we can produce a FAQ for future applicants (which hopefully won't be us :lol )

Here are a couple of Q's to start things off

Q1. I submitted my MCAT scores June 22, MCAT THX shows that the score report was successfully sent but the scores still do not appear on my UBC online application. Is this normal processing time or should I call Admissions and sort things out?

Q2. Would some of the successful applicants mind sharing how they structured their biographical essays, which topics they included, etc.? Vague question, I know, but I'm trying to decide whether to write a persuasive essay titled "Why I'd Kick Ass as a Doctor, Who's Ass I'd Kick, and How Hard I'd Kick It" or an expository essay along the lines of "Who is drcave and What Makes Him Tick."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest qbait

Hi all. I'm also filling out the application for the first time, although I'm an out of province applicant and not feeling too hot about my chances. Oh well! No harm in trying, right?

A1. Mine took about 2 weeks. I submitted my THX request on June 11th, and I seem to remember it showing up as received near the end of June. Have a look next week sometime, and hopefully it clears.

Guest ssc427

I've heard the worst essay you can write is one where you talk mostly about school, e.g. go through all of your courses saying how well you did in each. I've also heard it's not a good idea to spend your essay listing all of your ECs, but rather say what you learned from each activity.

Know that the essay review process is very similar to having a scientific publication reviewed. The reviewer may give you poor score through no fault of your own - they just didn't gel with your essay. I've heard of people using the same essay two years in a row and getting completely different NAQ scores each time.

Guest leviathan

I'm pretty sure my MCAT showed up as received within 2 days. I had submitted it 9 days before it showed up but I think I did it wrong, so I went back and resubmitted and it showed up in 2 days after the resubmission. At any rate, it should be there within a week max.

However, I submitted my transcript already about 10 days ago and it is still not showing up as received. What about you guys?

For my essay, I am talking about a few of my volunteer experiences (the most significant ones) and how they have shaped me as a person and also given me strong support for my decision to apply for medicine. I also threw in a little paragraph about working during school and how it affected my grades, but everything flows together naturally from one paragraph to the next (at least in my optimistic opinion!)

I can't believe the registration deadline is September 7th! I also can't believe I'm applying; I've been posting on these boards for 2 years now and finally this 3rd time I will be involved in the application process myself. :)

Guest qbait

I couriered my transcript about 10 days ago too, and it hasn't shown up either.

My guess is that maybe they have some kind of computer program that automatically receives and updates the MCAT scores, but maybe they need a staff member to personally go thru the transcripts and check them off. I would guess if that's true, they'll probably do them in batches or something? Just speculating.

I'm still working on my autobiographical essay, it's tougher than I thought! Two pages isn't very much room, either.

Guest Melisende

With regard to transcripts and other paper documents, they do not show up as received until after you have submitted your application. At least that was how it worked out last year. And even then, it took them a while before all the statuses were updated. So no worries there.

Guest bojangles99

This question might sound silly, but I was just wondering whether while DURING the application process, are applicants given their NAQ and AQ scores? Or is this only given to the applicant after they have not been accepted? Thanks!

Guest Melisende

Applicants are only given their AQ and NAQ scores after they are rejected. If you get in, you will never know how you scored.

Guest drcave

Q3: The instructions say you have 1/2 page of space but the prompt says " Your point form list has 96.0 % space left to complete three printed pages." So will the program actually tell me when I hit 1/2 page or is it all messed up?

Guest potential md

Hi there,

Q2. I was lucky enough to get in this year and thought I'd try to answer your question about the essay. I know it's a vague question, but what I did was tell them a story about how my interest in medicine started, developed over time and was absolutely confirmed by more recent experiences. Along the way, I talked about my feelings/thoughts or reflections of these experiences in the context of how they shaped my interest or my skills to set me up for medicine.

I think it's best to try to persuade them through explaining (show vs. tell them - meaning, don't say "I know I'll be a great doctor" with no backup, rather tell them a story that shows them that you'd be a great doctor because of something you did and then end with a sentence concluding that because of this experience you would be). You want to take them on a journey so that by the end of your essay, they're so convinced that you'd be a damn good physician that they're finish reading with their head nodding, thinking "This one is a definite yes".

Good luck everyone!

Guest richfranklin

Hey guys,

I was thinking of applying to UBC for med as an OOP. However, it seems as if you need an english course? As a person with no english course in his bag of courses, what do you suggest? I heard there is an english test that you can take? How difficult is that test? or would it be better to go through a year long english course?

Guest drcave

Q4. Does anybody know how many characters fit in each line of the NAQ list and employment history list? I want to fit in as much as possible without wasting entire lines for 3 letter words.

Guest celeria

A4. I think it's about 250 characters (including spaces). I just finished enetering all of my NAQ experiences and what I did was write up everything that I wanted to say and then cut things out or used shorter words where necessary. It's really not much room, but at least we are able to expand on this stuff in the essay...

Guest tigerlily

A2. In regards to your essay... just keep in mind that they will be reading essay after essay after essay. The best advice I can offer is to write one that will get talked about as they chat around the water cooler :) Especially concentrate on really strong opening and closing paragraphs. Also, before you begin, come up with a statement that encompasses what you want your essay to be about, and make sure each paragraph ties into that. Avoid anything vague or cliche at ALL costs, and try to cut down as many extraneous words as you can. A well thought out, concise essay will be much easier to read than a flowery one. Personally, I think it's better to show your personality and the motivation to go to med school, rather than the how or why you will succeed. For instance, in mine I not only described some of the experiences that confirmed my desire to go to med school, but also those that showed that I didn't want to do something else (ie, my experiences in a vet clinic showed me that although I enjoyed the medical part, I knew I wanted to work with people, etc). I think it helps if you show that you have put a lot of thought into this, and that you understand that it will be a lot of work and sacrifice, but you still can't imagine doing anything else. This helps you sound not-so-naive :)

Vivid descriptions of your real-life experiences make your essay enjoyable to read, and also make you sound like a person the reader would want to meet. No one wants a dull, boring doctor :) On the other hand, try to avoid being overly flashy and dramatic! ("and when I saw the blood gushing from where the hang-nail had been, I just KNEW I had to be a doctor!" might be a little over-the-top ;) )

Anyway... I hope this helps! Good luck to everyone, and hopefully we'll see you next year!

Guest leviathan

Be grateful! I'm sure most of the members in my division would be running around in circles saying, "Oh no! What do I do?! What do I do?!" :rollin

Guest qbait
Q3: The instructions say you have 1/2 page of space but the prompt says " Your point form list has 96.0 % space left to complete three printed pages." So will the program actually tell me when I hit 1/2 page or is it all messed up?

I noticed this too. I think it's glitched for the employment history, because we're only supposed to get 1/2 page instead of 3. If you do a little math, you should stop when it says you have ~83% left for 3 pages (right?).

Guest Melisende

You will pay your application fee when you submit your application. Once you submit, a new webpage will show up and asks for your money.

Guest patch

Hi. I am applying for the first time this year. I was hoping someone could help me with a question regarding the supporting documentation. The website mentions that secondary school transcripts are required per BC Resident Definition....does this mean that I only include it if it prompts me to do so or should I include it regardless.

Thanks a lot!

Guest anfieldangel

You only need to submit high school transcripts if you need them to prove you're a BC resident due to the fact you attended secondary school in BC (condition two on the citizenship page).

If you are a BC resident because of having attended high school in BC, once you enter this information on the citizenship page, "secondary school transcripts" will show up as something yet to be submitted. (ie - on the right hand side of the screen, it will say "not received").

If you're claiming AP or IB credit to satisfy prerequisites, I'm pretty sure they need AP/IB transcrips direct from the College Board or IB Organization respectively.

Hopefully that clarifies things.

Archived