Premed 101 Forums

Applying now for Fall 2007 - Questions, Answers, Discussion

Guest drcave

Guest qbait

Hi guys,

Just wanted to add that my Transcript from Calgary is now showing up as received, so I guess they are going to update those as they come in as well.

Best of luck to everyone!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jackie Choi

So I'm a little confused about the Extra Curricular Section... we are only allowed half a page? Out of curiosity, I was wondering how far back did you guys write to.. I know for OMSAS it is since you are 16... but i'm not really sure for UBC...

Thanks

Guest celeria

You actually get 3 pages for your non-academic experiences and 1/2 a page for your employment history. I did include a volunteer activity from as far back as 16 because it was relevant and influenced my decision to study medicine.

Guest GundamDX

It also depends on what you want to talk about in your essay.

Lots of ppl put down music instruments that they've played since they were kids and write in a lot of hours.

Guest ddawkin

may be too late to reply - but just in case anyone remains confused - for the employment history section, it is a "half printed page" at the ubc end, once the application has been submitted. as far as the application itself goes, you get the entire 100% as indicated in red (which is actually quite a lot of space).

dd

Guest Jackie Choi

Sorry for bombarding but I have another question..

I was wondering.. for the Non-Academic Experiences section, we mention things like research in "Other Experiences".. but I got paid for all of my research, Summer Student programs and etc... so it should also be listed in the employment section... should I repeat in the Non-Academic Experiences section as well???

Hopefully that question made sense... :\

Thanks for all your help.. I'm not sure what I would do without this board...

Guest ddawkin

hi jackie...

you can use employment experiences in your EC section if you feel they are relevant or important to your application. ubc simply wants to see that you do not ONLY have employment experiences, rather a balance of the two with an emphasis on community involvement, leadership, etc. (so i was told by an advisor). in such a case, you would list your employment/duties in the EH section, but also highlight any specific experiences (that might otherwise be overlooked or understated in employment history) in the EC section. these experiences can also comprise part of your essay.

good luck.

dd

Guest GundamDX

same here. i did co-op so all the research related exp. were actual jobs. I ran out of room in my EC list so I put these entries in the employment history section. Besides, putting them into the EH section you'll have more room elaborate on what you've done (and likely to prompt them to ask u about these exp. during the interview...)

Nope...however, I do have four AP credits, but I never transferred them. When coming to university I was considering some schools in the states that didn't accept AP, however, those delusions are gone and I hope I can get into a Canadian school so I don't have to go to the US.

This might be a really stupid question, but if I just finished my 2nd year, should I select "completed 2nd year but don't have a degree" or "completed 3rd year but don't have a degree" since I'll be completing 3rd year by next year..

Thanks for help guys!

If I'm applying OOP, how many transcripts do I need to send?

The instructions are a bit confusing:

Two official transcripts for all previously attended post-secondary institutions

One official transcript for post-secondary institution(s) currently attending (official interim transcript)

So if I've only attended (and am still attending) only one post-secondary institution, I only have to send one transcript right?

Thanks!

Ok I just found this:

If you are currently attending an institution and are currently enrolled in courses, you are required to submit only ONE set of official transcripts. Two sets of final, official transcripts from the institution(s) you are currently attended will only be required once you complete all courses or by 4:30 pm (PST) on June 15, 2007.

Soo I guess I only need one transcript..I think I just answered my own question

:)

This might be a really stupid question, but if I just finished my 2nd year, should I select "completed 2nd year but don't have a degree" or "completed 3rd year but don't have a degree" since I'll be completing 3rd year by next year...

You would select "completed 2nd year but don't have a degree". It's your status when you submit your application that matters.

Cheers!

Persistent.

Say one of your NAQ’s is something that you did independently or at least not with an organization… who could you put as a contact? I feel like I have to leave some experiences out because I don’t know how I can verify them. Also, do the contacts have to know who you are specifically or could they be someone like a program director who may have on record that you participated in a certain event?

Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks.

Say one of your NAQ’s is something that you did independently or at least not with an organization… who could you put as a contact? I feel like I have to leave some experiences out because I don’t know how I can verify them. Also, do the contacts have to know who you are specifically or could they be someone like a program director who may have on record that you participated in a certain event?

Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks.

Yea, I have the same problem. I spent time overseas 2-3 years ago at a AIDS hospital and my verifier cannot speak english. I did go with my father and brother though, so would they suffice? Or is that too fishy.

Just be honest and you'd be fine. I mean what other choices DO you have? It's either put it down or leave it out. If you put it down you need someone to verify it, who cares what that person might be? I formed an informal hockey league with friends back in high school, so I just put my friend's name down. I travelled to Europe when I was young so I put my mom down as a verifier. As long as these exp. aren't your bread and butter I think you'd be fine. Even if they ARE the bread and butter so what? What choices do you have? Either put it down or leave it out.

patch & rburgundy,

I just got back from an advising appointment with UBC Faculty of Medicine Admissions (I was rejected after being waitlisted), and I had similar questions regarding verifiers.

I also spent time working in Ecuador and a lot of my verifiers only speak Quechua or Spanish. Also, I've done a lot of things where my only verifier would be a friend (ie. kayaking, scuba diving, etc) or family (trips to visit family).

This is basically what the advisor said:

- Mostly, they verify volunteer placements with lots of hours. They're less likely to verify smaller EC activities, hobbies, trips, etc.

- Put down a verifier for EVERYTHING. Even if it's only a family member or friend, put something down.

- If they try to contact a verifier and something doesn't work out or seems fishy (wrong number, verifier doesn't speak English, your mom is claiming you went over Niagara Falls in a barrel), they will contact you to see if you can give another verifier.

- Use your judgement, but if you have extra space, make sure you've put down everything you can think of.

Good Luck everyone!

Susan

do you guys think it will be necessary for me to contact my verifiers first and tell them that UBC may call them? Cause otherwise, they might get confused when they get phone call from UBC and may not even pick up. But this will be another tons of work for me..:(

Hey andy_uw,

Yes, you should. I know, it's a lot of time & work...

Is this really necessary? These people aren't giving a reference they are just confirming that you did what you say. For example if a contact is the registrar for a sports league you were a part of who could confirm that you were in the league for x years, they would not know you specifically in the first place.

This is just my opinion but I would like to know what other people think.

Is this really necessary? These people aren't giving a reference they are just confirming that you did what you say. For example if a contact is the registrar for a sports league you were a part of who could confirm that you were in the league for x years, they would not know you specifically in the first place.

This is just my opinion but I would like to know what other people think.

When I asked the same question that andy_uw asked to a medical student who has been involved in the admission committee, I was told to treat verifiers like references for a job. Would you give a potential employer your former employer's name without giving your former employer a heads-up phone call? And I agree...although it can be very time consuming, I think it's just a good measure to contact verifiers, even by email, to let them know. I know that if I was put down as a verifier for somebody else, I would like the applicant to contact me to let me know. Just my 2 cents :) .

Jumping on the OOP applicant bandwagon as of tonight. Late, I know, but my application's already pretty much done. :)

So as I hear it, it's 25/25 Academic/Non-Academic and the Academic is: 12.5/12.5 Overall GPA/Last 60.

Could anyone provide an example of their ECs that earned them a 20/25?

From what I understand, OOP applicants are NOT required to submit a secondary school transcript - please confirm.

Does anyone know what total score out of 50 was required for OOP to interview? I believe the year before it was 42/50.

Thank you!

Archived