Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Congrats on the acceptances! And good luck with the wait-list!

c17, are you leaning towards Phillie or Detroit? lol

To be honest, I'm not sure yet! I liked JMC a lot more, but my parents live in the Detroit suburb area and I like being close to family... there are pros and cons to both schools. But as soon as I decide, I will withdraw from the other school to give someone else a chance.

ACCEPTED

Case Western: rmitch8 (I: 10/5, A: 10/21)

Jefferson: c17h (I: 10/7, A: 10/15)

SUNY: rmitch8 (I: 9/23, A: 10/15)

Wayne State: c17h (I: 9/21, A: 10/21)

WAITLISTED

Wayne State: VTeight7 (I: 10/9, WL: 10/21)

REJECTED

Albany: wrighm6 (S+)

Boston University: Hackintosh (S+), JC5 (S+), mystery_chick (S+)

Case Western Reserve University: foregoneconclusion (S+), JC5 (S+), musicaldna(S+), ChicoMaki (S+)

Duke: JC5 (S+ via status page)

EVMS: JC5 (S+) wrighm6 (I+)

Georgetown: rmitch8 (S+), emcd (S+), musicaldna (S+), foregoneconclusion (S+), wrighm6 (I+), c17h (I+)

GWU: musicaldna (S+), JC5 (S+)

Mayo Clinic: ChicoMaki (S-), foregoneconclusion (S-), c17h (S-), rmitch8 (LOR received 8/20), emcd (S+), musicaldna (S+), Rach (S+), JC5 (S+)

U Chicago - Pritzker: ChicoMaki (S+), James23 (S+)

U Minnesota - Twin Cities: wrighm6 (S+), JC5 (S+), musicaldna (S+)

UCSF: JC5 (S-)

SUNY Upstate: foregoneconclusion (S+, pre-interview hold = rejection based on SDN), ChicoMaki (S+, pre-interview hold), musicaldna (S+, pre-int hold), premed11 (S+, pre-interview hold), VTeight7 (S+, pre-interview hold), viscous (S+, pre-interview hold)

Tulane: Rach (S+)

Vanderbilt: c17h (S-), ChicoMaki (S-), viscous (S-), foregoneconclusion (S-), musicaldna (S-), Rach (S-), James23 (S-)

ACCEPTED

U Kentucky: Rach (I: 10/13, A: 10:22)

WAITLISTED

REJECTED

Case Western Reserve University: foregoneconclusion (S+), JC5 (S+), musicaldna(S+), ChicoMaki (S+)

Georgetown: rmitch8 (S+), emcd (S+), musicaldna (S+), foregoneconclusion (S+), wrighm6 (I+), c17h (I+)

Mayo Clinic: ChicoMaki (S-), foregoneconclusion (S-), c17h (S-), rmitch8 (LOR received 8/20), emcd (S+), musicaldna (S+), Rach (S+), JC5 (S+)

SUNY Upstate: foregoneconclusion (S+, pre-interview hold = rejection based on SDN), ChicoMaki (S+, pre-interview hold), musicaldna (S+, pre-int hold), premed11 (S+, pre-interview hold), VTeight7 (S+, pre-interview hold), viscous (S+, pre-interview hold)

Vanderbilt: c17h (S-), ChicoMaki (S-), viscous (S-), foregoneconclusion (S-), musicaldna (S-), Rach (S-), James23 (S-)

I'm pretty excited about this one, I really liked this school! :D

ACCEPTED

St. Louis University: trickybox (I: 10/13, A:10/22)

WAITLISTED

REJECTED

I didn't like the city, but I definitely LOVED this school.

Congrats on your acceptance Rach!

ACCEPTED

St. Louis University: trickybox (I: 10/13, A:10/22)

WAITLISTED

GWU: trickybox (I:9/18, WL: 10/22)

REJECTED

As Alastriss said before, GWU isn't as Canadian friendly as it seems to be. When you have over 10k applications and 1k interviews, it's easy to waitlist and reject Canadians. I thought I absolutely aced my interviews (better than SLU), but you never know.

However, I didn't have any public health experience or international volunteering and still received an interview.

I absolutely loved this school and the city, so I'll definitely be updating them with several LOIs (interests).

Congrats people. I keep trying to find stats for people that are getting accepting but cant find them for some (i tried looking thru the old posts). Would you guys mind posting just like your GPA's and mcat.

after everything thats happened in the past few cycles with everyone stats just seem so unimportant they do not tell the whole picture for anyone.

also, i came up with a song. sung to the tune of little mermaid "under the sea"

fourty-three teeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

fourty-three teeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

they'll be no applications

just interview invitations

with fourty-three teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Had a couple of elective students from NY (Albany, I think) in the past.

I know these boards aren't representative of the situation, but how many people accepted in the States actually end up going to American schools? (based on the responses here). I assume most would prefer a Canadian school for financial reasons. After just browsing here briefly, some past applicants sound very strong and I think would ultimately end up being accepted by a Canadian school.

I know these boards aren't representative of the situation, but how many people accepted in the States actually end up going to American schools? (based on the responses here). I assume most would prefer a Canadian school for financial reasons. After just browsing here briefly, some past applicants sound very strong and I think would ultimately end up being accepted by a Canadian school.

there is no such thing as a strong canadian applicant.

I knew many when I was applying. One of my friends was accepted to Hopkins, Harvard, UBC, and UT. Ended up at Hopkins. A couple others chose Vandy over UT (and UT sent them letters telling them to reconsider their decision to withdraw their acceptances). During my time at NU, I had classmates who also chose NU over UT and McMaster. It happens more often than you think... You have the rest of your life to make money as a doctor. An educational experience in your 20s is something you'll value for the rest of your life. I have no regrets personally even though I'm in a bit more debt than had I attended a Canadian school, but I've pretty much paid off all my loans, after a year and a half in practice. (It was a year and a half in which I worked my butt off but also well worth it.)

A couple others chose Vandy over UT (and UT sent them letters telling them to reconsider their decision to withdraw their acceptances).

This is pretty funny. Having had my Vandy interview recently they are completely justified IMO it is an amazing school.

This is pretty funny. Having had my Vandy interview recently they are completely justified IMO it is an amazing school.

People are always very defensive of Canadian schools, but I don't think they understand just how amazing a lot of American schools are.