Premed 101 Forums

What chance do I have?

Guest mficocel

Guest mficocel

Hi,

I just calculated my AMCAS GPA and I have an undergrad GPA of 3.51, a grad GPA of 3.71 and a science GPA of 3.65. I still need to complete some of the pre-req. courses but assuming the rest of my application is strong (lots of volunteer work, I have a Ph.D. in engineering with publications etc.) what kind of MCAT score would I need to be considered at some of the top 30 schools ? or am I totally out of the running for schools like Columbia and Cornell ? I'm mainly interested in the New York schools (Mount Sinia, Einstien, etc).

mficocel

Guest Scottish Chap

No....just score at least 27 (with no less than 8 in any section) and, assuming you have relevant medical experience and a compelling application essay, I almost gaurantee you'll get some interviews if you apply widely enough. Good luck!

Guest Scottish Chap

It could have easily been me making that original post. I've navigated this path and I stand by my statement. With a Ph.D., you have a massive advantage in the U.S., I promise you. The so-called top 30 schools are such because they are research-driven. The MCAT needs to be acceptable only. Respectfully, the score you quoted is misleading.

Guest Doctor Citan

It's always a good idea to target the best MCAT scores possible. But with your grades, I say get above 29. As long as you have experience, you have a good shot at getting an interview at a number of US med schools.

Good luck. :)

Archived