Premed 101 Forums

Does this help?

Guest mficocel

Guest mficocel

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen and I would like to apply to medical schools in the U.S. (specifically in the New York area) and I have a couple of questions I need answered before I start on this long journey.

First, I am currently completing a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering (bimedical topic) at UofT. I was wondering if having a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering (with multiple publications as first author) will help me in the application process? Will it give me any kind of edge over other applicants? I ask because it seems as though some schools really like to see some research background, or does this just refer to research in a purely medical topic?

Also, it seems that it may be hard to get into any of the state schools. My wife has recently accepted a faculty position at stony brook university. Can this help in acceptance in some way?

I will have to spend about a year completing some of the pre-req. courses. I have been thinking of applying to one of the post-bacc programs in New York to do this. Can anyone give me any advice on these programs? Is it better to complete a post-bacc program or just take the courses as a non-degree seeking student?

Also, while I'm finishing my current studies and taking my pre-req courses I will be volunteering at a hospital. I have been doing charity work since I was a kid. How much extra time should I invest in volunteer work specifically in hospitals.

I realize I have asked alot, but I'm 29 years old and on the verge of finishing 10 yrs of engineering studies, yet I have a strong desire to become a doctor and I just want to know what it's going to take to achieve that. Thanks in advance for the help,

mficocel

First, I am currently completing a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering (bimedical topic) at UofT. I was wondering if having a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering (with multiple publications as first author) will help me in the application process? Will it give me any kind of edge over other applicants? I ask because it seems as though some schools really like to see some research background, or does this just refer to research in a purely medical topic?

It will help, if your grad GPA is good, but if you have a horrible grad GPA then it probably will hurt more than it will help. A graduate degree will also rarely erase a poor undergraduate record. But my experience in applying 4 years ago is that publications not related to medical sciences will not help as much as publications in the medical sciences. Anyway, I still think it's impressive and I think if I were reviewing your app I would give it a favorable score.

Also, it seems that it may be hard to get into any of the state schools. My wife has recently accepted a faculty position at stony brook university. Can this help in acceptance in some way?

Some state schools take internationals. Some of the SUNYs do take Canadians. You will have to inquire about this with each respective school.

Your wife being a faculty at Stony Brook will likely not have any effect on your chances at their med school, unless she herself is on the admissions committee or is a big shot at the med school.

I will have to spend about a year completing some of the pre-req. courses. I have been thinking of applying to one of the post-bacc programs in New York to do this. Can anyone give me any advice on these programs? Is it better to complete a post-bacc program or just take the courses as a non-degree seeking student?

Surf over to forums.studentdoctor.net and ask this question there. I really have no experience with post-bacc programs. I would do the post-bacc program as opposed to just taking courses as you will have a premed advisor dedicated to helping you with the process. Again though, I have no experience in this and would refer you to studentdoctor.

Also, while I'm finishing my current studies and taking my pre-req courses I will be volunteering at a hospital. I have been doing charity work since I was a kid. How much extra time should I invest in volunteer work specifically in hospitals.

As much as you can without sacrificing your grades and your sanity!

Archived