Premed 101 Forums

when to give MCAT

human instinct

Hey,

Im currently in my 2nd yr. I'm a bit confused as to when would be the best time to give MCAT considering that I want to apply to both US and Canadian Med schools for the 2008 session. Also just to make sure what dates do the admission rounds begin for both Canada and US.? Finally considering the date I should be giving my MCAT, how long before would it be advisable to take the MCAT prep course.

You can write the mcat in august or earlier, and that will allow you to apply in 2007 for 2008 entry.

For Canadian schools, there is no rolling admission. This means that they receive all applications before they start doing any interview. I think in Ontario, admission is handed out in May and interviews take place Jan-April.

For American schools, get your application in ASAP! There is rolling admission for most schools in the US, which means, if you hand it in very early (before the competition does) then you have a very good shot at getting an interview and an acceptance to US schools. I'd recommend getting the MSAR to look at what schools you are competitive in (GPA + MCAT wise) and which schools accept Canadian applicants. You said you're in your second year.. I don't know how many US schools accept Canadian applicants who are still in their 3rd year. I don't imagine it's very many though.

Also see this thread, it's a bit dated but it will come in handy: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19065

Hope that helps.

Hey Law...

Just wanted to clear up a confusion.

You mentioned that one has better chances of getting in if they apply before the competition gets in. By this do you mean that I should send in my app asap in the early decision program (EDP) whose deadline is Aug1?

Also does this mean that my MCAT scores have to be sent in before Aug1?

what is the msar?

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/msar.htm

That's the MSAR, it's a book that has all the med schools in US and Canada... their mean entering averages and MCAT scores, as well as information on the medical school itself.

Hey Law...

Just wanted to clear up a confusion.

You mentioned that one has better chances of getting in if they apply before the competition gets in. By this do you mean that I should send in my app asap in the early decision program (EDP) whose deadline is Aug1?

Not necessarily, just hand in your application ASAP. It doesn't have to be the early decision program. The early decision program usually doesn't allow you to apply to any other schools except the one you want an early decision on. I wouldn't really do early decision unless you are a very exceptional applicant, and I really don't know if being Canadian would negatively affect you if you did the early decision program. By applying early I mean, applications become available at a specified date... fill them out in the next day or so and then SUBMIT! That way some latecomers will still be handing their applications in throughout july-august-september-and even october... but you would have handed your application in early so there were less people applying at that time, and since interviews are taking place throughout the year, your chances of getting an interview will go up! :)

Check out the "Applying to American Schools" part of the site, lots of useful info there. Also, Madz25 and sonyvaio2700 have lots of helpful posts in that section! :)

Yeah, that's the reason why some people say "take the MCAT early" - it's because schools won't review your file until the scores are ready. I'm currently in my second year also right now - I'm planning on applying to Canadian schools this coming cycle. If I don't get in, at least I'll have some experience. I also plan on writing the MCAT in mid July-August. If I don't get in next year, I'll just continue my degree and apply again (this time applying to the US + Canada). By then, I will have already written the MCAT, so I will be able to hand in my application early to the US and I will not have to wait for MCAT scores.

I would not recommend applying through EDP. You can only apply to one school if you take this route. If you aren't accepted, you can add additional schools to your application.

For the US, the earliest date that the AMCAS application can be submitted is June 1st (it becomes available around May 15th). I highly suggest you try to get your application in at this time as verification of this application and subsequent secondary applications can take up quite a bit of time. It IS NOT necessary to have the MCAT scores submitted along with the AMCAS application. However, your file will be labelled incomplete and wont be reviewed by the schools until the scores are received. Therefore, applying early doesn't make much of a difference if your scores will hold up your application anyway. So for US schools, it's in your best interest to have the scores by the time you submit your primary application, even though it is not a necessity.

Hope this helps.

Archived