Premed 101 Forums

The Gold-standard

ice-cream

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Has anyone heard of the Gold Standard MCAT prep materials or the online course?

How good is it?

Any help is much appreciated! :)

I feel they're good if you know the material already as the book doesn't go into a lot of details. However, if there are areas that you don't know much about you'll find the book not useful for learning the material.

I'm pretty sure that the Gold Standard helped me get a 39 S.

I mostly used the Gold Standard, and found the book quite useful, but the video lectures and silver bullet cassettes were next to useless. Towards the end of my studying, i started using Kaplan and Examcracker material too, because i was worried that more detailed knowledge was required.

I was wrong. I didn't come across anything in the AAMC Practice tests, the AAMC practice materials, or the actual MCAT itself that wasn't covered in the gold standard. It also has the benefit of forcing you to focus on general concepts than getting mired in technical details (like Kaplan).

If you go by the AAMC topic list, it addresses most of the high yield stuff, and anything else you're not clear on and are worried will be tested on the MCAT, you could always look up in other material.

If you really wanna smoke the test though, you could always use more detailed material like Kaplan or Examcrackers at first, and then remind yourself of what's most important by using the Gold Standard.

Anyway, if you are going to use the gold standard, you'll have to find some other source for studying magnetism.

Archived