Premed 101 Forums

Canadian educated in US, going to Canada for residency.

Ok So I tried looking for the answer to my questions on previous forums, and I have to an extent, but they have sparked new questions:

1) I heard landing a good residency in canada is tough because a lot of the time they don't know what school you went to and/or canadian students get first pick

- A lot of posts here have been something along the lines of "oh so and so went to the US and then is now doing radiology in UT or something" but for all I know that could be the ONLY can. educated in US to land that spot vs 100 that tried and failed. I was just wondering on a general scale what its on a general scale.

2) I am wondering which residencies would be especially hard to land for Canadian students educated in us. I read that the "competitive ones are usually hard to land, unlike psychiatry and FM, but which residencies are considered competitive? radiology, oncology, dermatology, et?

3) A lot of people on this forum have said that the solution to not being able to land competitive residencies in Can. can be solved simply by doing ur electives in canada. How does someone get an elective? if a lot of can. go to the US and want to come back, wouldn't there be some sort of competition for those electives?

4) I also have heard that if you go to a well known US school, it is easier to land residencies than if u came to an unknown school. Which schools would be considered 'known', besides the top tier schools. THis is a very awkward question and it pretty much seems like prejudice against a lot of schools that are very good but have not seemed recognition, but ive gotten the impression that having ur school 'known' is an important factor to the canadian that is deciding whether u can get the residency or not.

Thanks!

Archived