Premed 101 Forums

Biochem 300?

Hello guys,

I'm about to start Grade 12 in September, and I'm interested in perhaps becoming a doctor one day.

I was reading some articles on premed and applying to medical schools in addition to some of the undergraduate courses required by UBC. An article at premed101.com stated that in order to apply third year, one should complete all the "pre-req courses" for the MCAT - English, Inorganic + Organic Chem, General Bio, and Biochemistry - by the end of second year to write the MCAT immediately after.

However, the MCAT biochem "prep course", Biochem 300, is a third-year course that has second-year organic chemistry courses as prereqs.

So, is it impossible to cover all the topics on the MCAT by second-year? Does this mean that UBC premeds will have to take the MCATs after third year and apply fourth year?

Please excuse me if I have made some glaring, obvious error in coming to my conclusions. I am, after all, an underinformed high school student. :o

Cheers,

Jeff

Hello guys,

I'm about to start Grade 12 in September, and I'm interested in perhaps becoming a doctor one day.

I was reading some articles on premed and applying to medical schools in addition to some of the undergraduate courses required by UBC. An article at premed101.com stated that in order to apply third year, one should complete all the "pre-req courses" for the MCAT - English, Inorganic + Organic Chem, General Bio, and Biochemistry - by the end of second year to write the MCAT immediately after.

However, the MCAT biochem "prep course", Biochem 300, is a third-year course that has second-year organic chemistry courses as prereqs.

So, is it impossible to cover all the topics on the MCAT by second-year? Does this mean that UBC premeds will have to take the MCATs after third year and apply fourth year?

Please excuse me if I have made some glaring, obvious error in coming to my conclusions. I am, after all, an underinformed high school student. :o

Cheers,

Jeff

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BIOCHEM 300!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

haha actually it's not thaat bad, I enjoyed it much more than bioc200.. anyway I'm guessing you're going to go to UVic as well...

you do NOT need bioc300 to do well in the MCAT. There might be only a few biomolecule/interaction questions, but usually details are in a passage.

Don't worry... and don't mainly prep for the MCAT by taking specific courses, as the information is far too broad (however the exposure is great). Working through prep materials is all that's needed.

LOL! The material doesn't sound easy... your scream has got me worried! :eek::P

Just to clarify a bit, I was actually referring to the Biochem 300 course at UBC. (It is all so confusing! :) ) Apparently, there is no Biochem 200 at UBC, so I was wondering if anyone should actually take the MCAT without taking an actual biochemistry course. Would the material in prep books and self-studying be enough?

ohh. you have nothing to worry about :P apparently UBC 3rd year bioc is waay easier than that found at uvic. a number of uvicers actually transfer to ubc just to take that course in the summer.

How is/was it at UVic? I've heard that the undergraduate environment there is much better than the one at UBC. eg. smaller classes, less vicious competition, etc.

How is/was it at UVic? I've heard that the undergraduate environment there is much better than the one at UBC. eg. smaller classes, less vicious competition, etc.

Environment wise, UVic is small and cozy. There is a more relaxed atmosphere than at UBC. Although the major classes still have 200+, it's still much less than at UBC. I had offers/scholarships to here, SFU and UBC, but going back, I would have probably better evaluated the course options open to me at each school and made my decision on that - though I am happy here.

I loved Uvic (all seven years of it) - the smaller size and the great city. However you can get distracted easily because you feel like there is so much more to do in your day then just school (oh, the fountain). You lose out of the GPA conversion when you apply to UBC med, but I thought the school more than made up for it.

Biochem. 300 was super tough, but I took it in 2003, and I've heard they've changed it a bit, so I'm not sure if it still has that reputation as the hardest upper level course at Uvic.

Environment wise, UVic is small and cozy. There is a more relaxed atmosphere than at UBC. Although the major classes still have 200+, it's still much less than at UBC. I had offers/scholarships to here, SFU and UBC, but going back, I would have probably better evaluated the course options open to me at each school and made my decision on that - though I am happy here.

I'll definitely keep your advice in mind when I choose a university next year.

I loved Uvic (all seven years of it) - the smaller size and the great city. However you can get distracted easily because you feel like there is so much more to do in your day then just school (oh, the fountain). You lose out of the GPA conversion when you apply to UBC med, but I thought the school more than made up for it.

Biochem. 300 was super tough, but I took it in 2003, and I've heard they've changed it a bit, so I'm not sure if it still has that reputation as the hardest upper level course at Uvic.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the GPA conversion? (I know, I'm so clueless :) )

Archived