Premed 101 Forums

Rural Training

I think only the NMP subcommitte will be looking at the "Rural Training" section, but I am not sure. My reasoning is that many of your answers to those NMP questions are probably just repetition of what you might have put down in the "Self-Reliance" section within the "Non-academic" section.

On a related note, if you put "not applicable; no interest at all" in the "Rural Interest Statement", will the adcom negatively view it as not being open-minded or flexible enough to even consider the possiblity of training in a rural setting?

From my understanding, the rural interest statement bit is for statistical studies and research on the effectiveness of the program for retaining doctors in the north. Saying "no interest" shouldn't harm your application, unless you want to go to PG in which case saying you're not interested would be a pretty bad strategy. But hey, reverse psychology works for some things.

Well, I can't tell you that I don't not want to avoid getting a rejection letter to a medical school which I certainly hope not to attend notwithstanding any absence of desire to study there.

Archived