Premed 101 Forums

What does it take to get into an Ivy League?

capitalcity

You need at least a 35 MCAT and a GPA over 3.8 (I'm assuming yours is pretty high unless you have some lopsided grades). If you have this, you definitely have a shot at getting in. That said, you probably need more/better ECs to be very competitive, ie. research experience.

If I had a 35 MCAT/3.8 gpa (I actually have the GPA, but only a 32R MCAT), I would apply. You have nothing to lose but a bit of time and money, and the money is recoverable in the long run.

I'm presently at Queen's with a mid-90s average. I've volunteered in hospitals for about 5 years (maybe 1.5-2hrs/week), am heading a club and exec in another club. Would I even have a chance at say the likes of Stanford, Harvard, Penn, and Washington St Louis?

I'd just give a go at it if I have >5% chance of getting in. GPA-wise, I think I'm covered, but EC and ref... not sure.

With your 4.0 GPA, you're more or less just the same as any other run of the mill high achieving pre-med.

It's not just about your numbers (as you'll quickly realize every other premed and their dog has the same numbers - read SDN to realize that) and the other realization is beyond a certain threshold, marks and mcats become truly meaningless.

Whatever though...give it a shot. Many people with less have tried. There's undeniably an element of chance involved, particularly when it's the Iveys and objective means of evaluation (everybody has a 3.8+, 35+ MCAT, "great LORs") become meaningless.

You don't need anything 'special', so much as a lot of variety, demonstration of leadership abilities (not to mention being well rounded, ie. sports) and clinical exposure (key!). If one were to have something different, it definitely helps - but it's not a requirement.

If you get a 35+ on the MCAT, you are set for an interview at a school or two at least. But it's still pretty stiff competition, as you will be battling with people that have a background that is pretty much a carbon copy of yours. Hence, why you often read of people with something special in their background, it sets them apart from everyone else and for an admission committee, different = good.

I'm presently at Queen's with a mid-90s average. I've volunteered in hospitals for about 5 years (maybe 1.5-2hrs/week), am heading a club and exec in another club. Would I even have a chance at say the likes of Stanford, Harvard, Penn, and Washington St Louis?

I'd just give a go at it if I have >5% chance of getting in. GPA-wise, I think I'm covered, but EC and ref... not sure.

I think that your EC's are fine. All you need is a very high MCAT score, and it'll most likely have to be higher than 35. Just take a look at mdapplicants and check out the profiles of some of the people that get into the ivy's, that should give you a good idea of where you stand.

• 3 weeks later...
You need at least a 35 MCAT and a GPA over 3.8 (I'm assuming yours is pretty high unless you have some lopsided grades). If you have this, you definitely have a shot at getting in. That said, you probably need more/better ECs to be very competitive, ie. research experience.

If I had a 35 MCAT/3.8 gpa (I actually have the GPA, but only a 32R MCAT), I would apply. You have nothing to lose but a bit of time and money, and the money is recoverable in the long run.

Since MSAR says the MEDIAN for top tier schools (cept wash @ st louis which is 3.7) is 35, 35 is not the minimum you need to have a shot. it makes more sense to say that a 35+ and a 3.8+ is what you need to have very realistic chance of gettin in, given that other parts of your application are pretty strong too

Archived