Premed 101 Forums

Applying to Australian med schools

Guest FungManX

Guest FungManX

I recieved this in my email just today and thought some of you might like it... coming back to canada might be a problem but if your okay in settling close to the border (on the otherside) it shouldn't be a big problem at all :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I am e-mailing you regarding Graduate Entry Medicine programs offered in Australia, as you expressed interest in receiving information regarding medical programs in Australia. This e-mail includes information regarding the entry requirements necessary for the University of Melbourne and University of Queensland medical programs. I have also included a ranking of Australian and Canadian Medical and Biomedical programs at the end of the e-mail.

University of Queensland

*PLEASE NOTE: to the 2007 intake, the University of Queensland is accepting applications directly using the University of Queensland undergraduate application form. You do not have to apply to the University of Queensland's medical program using the ACER application form as has been the case in previous years, which only permits you to apply to two (2) Australian medical programs.*

Three components contribute to selection for admission:

Performance in the most recently completed key degree. A key degree is a bachelors degree, honours, masters degree (coursework or research) or a PhD. Applicants must meet a minimum grade point average to be eligible. For the 2007 intake, the minimum GPA will be 5.00 (on the 0-7 scale, where 4 is a pass) or 2.67 (on the 0-4 scale, where 2 is a pass).

Performance in the North American Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). Applicants must meet a minimum level of achievement in the admissions test to be eligible. The minimum scores required for the GAMSAT are 50 in each section; for the MCAT, 8/8/8/M.

Performance in an interview. International students are not required to travel outside their home country to attend an interview. The School of Medicine will contact applicants directly via email to negotiate an interview time. Interviews are usually conducted from August until early October.

Selection for a place in 2007 is based on the applicant's Overall MCAT Score (50%) and their performance at interview (50%).

The grade point average (GPA) is not included in the calculation of the final score but applicants must have achieved a minimum threshold.

MCAT

As a guide, applicants with MCAT scores must have achieved minimum scores of 8/8/8/M.

Results from the MCAT are only valid for two years. For the 2007 intake, results from the following test sittings will be accepted:

MCAT August 2004, April 2005, August 2005 and April 2006. Results from the August 2006 test will not be accepted.

Interview

The interview is semi-structured and based on an assessment by a panel of two interviewers. At least one of the interviewers is medically qualified, while the other will be a member of the University and/or a representative from Queensland Health. Interviewers are only provided with the applicant's name. Academic performance is not discussed. The following attributes are considered at the interview: ability to communicate, cognitive style, cooperativeness, evidence of active participation, motivation to practice medicine, open-mindedness, self confidence and stable self identity.

International applicants do not have to travel outside their home country to attend an interview.

University of Melbourne

*PLEASE NOTE: for the July 2007 intake, all the available international spots in the Medical program at the University of Melbourne have been reserved for Canadian students exclusively.

Selection for interview is based on the applicant's Academic Record (mainly the weighted GPA) and Overall MCAT Score.

-Bachelors degree 50%

-Overall MCAT Score 50%

Applicants must have completed or be in the final year of a bachelors degree recognized by the Faculty and have achieved a weighted Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 5.50 on a seven point scale (equivalent to an H3 level at the University of Melbourne). A 5.50 on a scale of 7 equates to a 65%-74% average in your undergraduate degree.

MCAT

As well as achieving an Overall Score acceptable to the faculty, applicants must achieve a minimum level in all three sections of the test. The threshold is determined annually after relevant data are received from ACER.

Interview

The Academic Record (mainly weighted GPA score) and Overall MCAT Score are combined to obtain a rank order of applicants suitable for interview. The number of interview places is approximately 1.5 times the quota.

The structured interview is of about 30 minutes duration and is conducted by a three-person panel, including one community member. The qualities to be assessed at interview include the applicant's interest in and motivation for undertaking the course, likely capacity for establishing and maintaining rapport with patients in a clinical situation, communication skills, and aptitude for collaboration and decision-making.

How to Apply

Applying to the University of Queensland

As you can now apply directly using the University of Queensland undergraduate application form, you may download it from the following website:

University of Queensland Medical School Application Form

Closing date: 11 August, 2006

For further information, please visit: www.oztrekk.com/programs/medicine.htm

Applying to the University of Melbourne

You can only apply to the University of Melbourne using the ACER application form. The ACER application form will be available in mid-May, and will be e-mailed to you by me.

Closing date: 11 August, 2006

For further information, please visit: www.oztrekk.com/programs/medicine.htm

Once you have completed either/or the application to the University of Queensland or the University of Melbourne, you mail it together with your transcripts directly to:

ATTN: Matt Miernik

OzTREKK – Australian Medical School Application Centre in Canada

102 Sumac Lane

Perth, Ontario

K7H 3C7

Canada

Below I have included information about recent World University Rankings published by The Times Higher Education Supplement, a U.K. publication.

Top ranked universities in Australia for Medical and Biomedical studies and programs (world ranking in brackets - universities represented in Canada by OzTREKK in bold):

1 University of Melbourne (10th in the world)

2 University of Sydney (18th)

3 Australian National University (21st)

4 Monash University (28th)

5 Queensland University (29th)

6 University of New South Wales (41st)

Three Canadian universities made the top 100:

1 University of Toronto (20th in the world)

2 McGill University (24th)

3 University of British Columbia (31st)

If you have any questions or you would like to receive an Australian Medical School

Application and Information Package, please don't hesitate to contact me via e-mail,matt@oztrekk.com or by calling 1 866 698 7355.

Cheers,

Matt

OzTREKK - Your Canadian Connection to Study in Australia

A> 102 Sumac Lane

Perth, Ontario

K7H 3C7

P> +1 613 267 4004

F> +1 613 267 4144

W> http://www.oztrekk.com

:b :b :b

Guest kaolausb

as far as I know.. u can definitely work in Aussie.. I'm in Oz right now.. some Canadians just graduated from med are working here and they start off with more than Canadians doc

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DSheerin

I'm sorry, but was I reading the post correctly, does it really say if you have an above 65 average you can get into medical school down there (well, thats the cut off?!)

• 1 year later...

Archived