Premed 101 Forums

How much prep required for bio section?

aztekxero

Hey everyone,

I'm currently enrolled in Electrical Engineering at U of T looking at a possible future in medicine. I was just wondering what sort of prep was required for the biological sciences section of the MCAT. I'm not too worried about the physical sciences (engineering is good for some things), but my exposure to biology and organic chemistry will be a little low. There are some third and fourth year courses you can choose to take which focus on the quantitative aspects of biology and biological engineering, but I'm not sure if those are the types of courses I will require. Would it be beneficial to take a course in biology or organic chemistry? Or would that just be a waste of time and money?

Also, what would one recommend to prepare for the verbal reasoning and writing sections? As far as verbal reasoning goes, I feel that I am quite well read. Maybe not extremely so, but I read novels and various magazines. As for the writing section, I don't consider myself an excellent essay writer. I also don't really want to take a course that is solely based on writing. Would taking a course like Bio-Ethics, for example, help?

If I were you, I might think about picking up the books for Princeton Review or something like that. I'm in Bio so it didn't really help too much for me, but if you're a good self-directed learner, having the books means you can just study on your own. You don't have to spend the money on a whole course.

I found the books also really helpful for the WS and VR parts, even though I'm well-read, there are strategies and good pointers in those. You can probably find someone to give you the books even, from last year!

In my opinion, you'll probably be fine if you've taken introductory biology and organic chemistry courses. I don't think courses focusing on quantitative aspects of biology/biological engineering will help. However, I highly suggest you take a physiology course to help prepare for the biological sciences section, if that's at all feasible. If not, the Kaplan book gives you a decent overview, but you will need to start studying earlier if you've never seen the stuff before.

As for verbal reasoning and writing sections, practicing with AAMC/Examkrackers material worked well for me.

Archived