Premed 101 Forums

which Irish med school is the best?

• 2 weeks later...

But is there one that has a better reputation than the other, which can affect your chances of getting a residency spot in Canada? I wondering if anybody knows about this.

For some reason I always have in my head that RCSI has the best reputation. Maybe this is because they have an interview process for international students, which makes it seem more credible in a way...people know that their students were screened for social and communication skills, whereas this is not the case for other schools. These are obviously just my thoughts, and I don't have any evidence about which is the "best."

I just read a post from an RCSI student at sdn that stated all the Canadians at RCSI that applied to the 2008 Canadian match had matched. This is pretty damn impressive. I am curious how this compares to the other schools.

Wow, that is very impressive. In my UCC acceptance package they gave a list of the North American graduates who matched in North America (100% got a residency in N.A.), but MOST were in the U.S. Not very many from UCC got placements in Canada, but who knows, maybe most of them preferred the U.S.?

Trinity is considered by the Irish as the Cambridge or Oxford of Ireland. RCSI, as stated above, is usually seen as a private school for rich foreigners. All the others are somewhere in between but I don't know anything about them other than what I have read here.

I work at RCSI and I often hear consultants complain about how the RCSI kids are the worse to teach because they expect everything handed to them. While I might not want things handed to me, I understand where they're coming from. If I would be paying that much for tuition I would expect a very high quality service in return. That's the reason I couldn't go to any of the medical schools here, I would always want more, and most times you get less then the Irish kids.

Trinity is considered by the Irish as the Cambridge or Oxford of Ireland. RCSI, as stated above, is usually seen as a private school for rich foreigners. All the others are somewhere in between but I don't know anything about them other than what I have read here.

I work at RCSI and I often hear consultants complain about how the RCSI kids are the worse to teach because they expect everything handed to them. While I might not want things handed to me, I understand where they're coming from. If I would be paying that much for tuition I would expect a very high quality service in return. That's the reason I couldn't go to any of the medical schools here, I would always want more, and most times you get less then the Irish kids.

Why do you get less than the Irish kids?

Archived