Premed 101 Forums

Advice about competitiveness for top tier schools

Hello all,

I know this may be a recurring question, but I'm really trying to figure out whether I have a realistic shot at top tier schools like Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, Yale etc..

AMCAS GPA: 3.83

BCPM GPA: 3.80

MCAT: 10, 10, 10, P

Grad GPA: ~ 4.0 (one course only)

-Completing research based Masters degree at U of T in 2009 in stem cells (3 years of research experience because of this)

-Plan on submitting to AMCAS by June 1

- 1 paper in preparation (hopefully submitted/accepted june) and 1 abstract/poster and 2 more hopefully by the summer

- Good amount of ECs, scholarships etc..

So thats it. Im worried about my MCAT being low so I was hoping that my research experience could make up for it, maybe even my GPA?

Thanks for any advice/input.

You will have a great shot at US MD schools, but unfortunately I think the MCAT will hold you back from top tiered programs.

If you are intent on going to harvard etc then you should try to boost your score.

Hello all,

I know this may be a recurring question, but I'm really trying to figure out whether I have a realistic shot at top tier schools like Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, Yale etc..

AMCAS GPA: 3.83

BCPM GPA: 3.80

MCAT: 10, 10, 10, P

Grad GPA: ~ 4.0 (one course only)

-Completing research based Masters degree at U of T in 2009 in stem cells (3 years of research experience because of this)

-Plan on submitting to AMCAS by June 1

- 1 paper in preparation (hopefully submitted/accepted june) and 1 abstract/poster and 2 more hopefully by the summer

- Good amount of ECs, scholarships etc..

So thats it. Im worried about my MCAT being low so I was hoping that my research experience could make up for it, maybe even my GPA?

Thanks for any advice/input.

I agree with justletmein. For top tier, you should really be looking at an MCAT score of 35+ to have a shot. US schools weigh the MCAT heavily so I don't think the other things will offset the low MCAT score. I would really suggest rewriting the MCAT.

There's no rhyme or reason with top tier schools. They get so many stellar applicants every year, all with 3.9+GPAs, 35+ MCATs, publications, lots of volunteer, travel, work experience....that no one knows how realistic a shot you have.

You just gotta apply and hope you're lucky and there's something about your application they like. Give it a shot...if you're applying to the US, what's another couple hundred on primaries and secondaries?

Pretty much whats been said...

With top tier, everyone brings top-notch EC's/PS/LORs so really need MCAT 35+ to even be considered.

So, do you have a realistic shot at HMS, Yale, Columbia? No, not realistic. Do you have a chance? Yes. It gets a little unpredictable at times. Should you apply? Yes, but only if you are ok with the high chance that you'll lose a few hundred bucks.

IMO The money may be better spent buying MSAR and seeing which schools you have a solid chance at-- the book will pay for itself if you even avoid applying to a single school where you're pretty much auto-reject. ex) Mayo.

Oh, and a Masters is not a major factor with US AdCom. sucks eh.

I'm a little confused with regards to the MSAR...is the one relevant to those applicants applying this summer (2008 for Sept 2009 admission) not available until April 2008? Or is this current one the one to use?

https://services.aamc.org/Publications/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product.displayForm&prd_id=186&prv_id=226

Thanks

MSAR 2008-2009 was for this past application cycle as the applicants were trying to gain admission into the 2008-2009 first year class. The new one will be released in April 2008, for admission into the 2009-2010 class. You don't have to wait to buy the new one as not much changes from year to year. It helps as the exact deadlines for each school is given but you can find that info online once you decide which schools you want to apply to.

I think there is something that needs to be clarified. When people say you need 35+ to be considered, it is not to be taken literally. It makes no sense to say you need 35+ to be considered when msar says the average accepted applicant has a 12-11-12 for these top tier schools.

However, when we say 35+ its because everyone in a top tier score has a pristine EC or achievement record, not to mention research. Such milestones are rare, so to compensate in any of these areas you need a 35+ mcat to make you competitive.

Nothing is certain in the application process...which can work for you or against you..so you might as well take a shot.

I think there is something that needs to be clarified. When people say you need 35+ to be considered, it is not to be taken literally. It makes no sense to say you need 35+ to be considered when msar says the average accepted applicant has a 12-11-12 for these top tier schools.

However, when we say 35+ its because everyone in a top tier score has a pristine EC or achievement record, not to mention research. Such milestones are rare, so to compensate in any of these areas you need a 35+ mcat to make you competitive.

Nothing is certain in the application process...which can work for you or against you..so you might as well take a shot.

True enough. An average is just that. Better to say "to be on the safe side" rather than "in order to be considered". The latter just heavily stresses (exaggerates) how important it is to have a strong MCAT.

to the OP, i would definitely encourage you to apply to all those "top tier" schools...these schools are complete lotteries for everyone, and you don't know if you have what they want until you try. before you apply, though, i would echo everyone's sentiments and STRONGLY suggest that you retake your mcats to get 35+. with a high mcat score and your undergrad GPA, the academic door will be open, and your personal record will have a chance to shine.

as i have mentioned in another thread, GET GREAT LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION. i don't think one could overemphasize their importance. the profs/supervisors/coaches - whoever you ask - need to really love you and sell you to the admissions committees, because almost everyone has good looking stats, activities, and essays. letters give you actual credibility and very human dimensions.

i have observed that all of my friends who had interviews and acceptances at these "top tier" schools (US News top 10 schools) had interviewers who made off-hand comments about the strength of their references letters (though they cannot make comments about the actual content, they often strongly hint at the fact that the letters were superlatively positive). these friends also had solid academic records (like yours), 36+ MCAT scores, extensive research experiences, and all the activities they could have possibly fit in 3 years (also probably like yours).

Archived