Premed 101 Forums

University of hawaii?

so being a non-trad applicant, and wanting to completely maximize my chances of studying medicine come 2009 (i am "only 28" but i feel like my clock is ticking), i am thinking of applying to US med schools this summer (purely as a backup to canadian schools). anyways i did a site search for university of hawaii and found nothing except for the fact that it accepts canadians. I went to the web site and it stated that the median gpa for the school was 3.65 (seems a little low?) and mcat approx 30. It also stated they prefer applicants who have strong ties to the pacific or hawaii (by pacific i am assuming they mean polynesia/micronesia, not pacific rim ie. BC like where i am from). anyone have any experience applying to this school? i am assuming the entrance stats for out of state/country are much higher (right now my gpa is 3.72, with my last semester grades due any day now, i write mcat june, lots of health care experience overseas and in canada, i'm an RN). a guy at my school told me he applied there with a criminology degree with a 3.5 gpa and got accepted (though he said he turned it down since he was more interested in police/investigative work, not sure if he is telling the truth). anyways, studying medicine in hawaii would have all the perks of the caribbean with the bonus of being a recognized US school.

so being a non-trad applicant, and wanting to completely maximize my chances of studying medicine come 2009 (i am "only 28" but i feel like my clock is ticking), i am thinking of applying to US med schools this summer (purely as a backup to canadian schools). anyways i did a site search for university of hawaii and found nothing except for the fact that it accepts canadians. I went to the web site and it stated that the median gpa for the school was 3.65 (seems a little low?) and mcat approx 30. It also stated they prefer applicants who have strong ties to the pacific or hawaii (by pacific i am assuming they mean polynesia/micronesia, not pacific rim ie. BC like where i am from). anyone have any experience applying to this school? i am assuming the entrance stats for out of state/country are much higher (right now my gpa is 3.72, with my last semester grades due any day now, i write mcat june, lots of health care experience overseas and in canada, i'm an RN). a guy at my school told me he applied there with a criminology degree with a 3.5 gpa and got accepted (though he said he turned it down since he was more interested in police/investigative work, not sure if he is telling the truth). anyways, studying medicine in hawaii would have all the perks of the caribbean with the bonus of being a recognized US school.

Hey...Im not sure if its the case with university of hawaii but there are some schools that say that they accept internationals but have not accepted any in the past few yrs. To make sure that the uni really does accept, you should check the MSAR for stats on how many internationals actually got interviewed.

• 1 month later...
University of Hawaii will interview internationals - a poster on this board received an interview. However, I somehow doubt they will accept many internationals.

Once you factor in the cost to interview (travel expenses etc) and the slim chances, I would say it's not worth it.

I got an interview at UH 2 years ago and I went. This was right after they built the new facilities. It was really nice, and actually a little impressive.

However, unless you have Hawaiiian blood, were born in Hawaii, or have close blood relatives born in Hawaii or who live there, chances of you getting accepted are VERY SLIM! US citizens (who are not Hawaiian) have a hard time getting accepted, so being Canadian makes it even harder for you.

Pretty much the only way you'll get in to UH is if you have a stellar GPA and MCAT. But if you have that you might as well go to a mainland school where tuition is less and the cost of living is WAY less.

In my honest opinion, if you get an interview at UH, decline it, because you are essentially wasting your money, unless you want a nice vacation in paradise.

(Btw, I was accepted at a mainland US MD school and am about to enter year 3, after I write that pesky USMLE Step 1.)

Archived