Premed 101 Forums

Wanna be good at VR

medisforme

ok i've read enough posts about people wanting to improve VR to give me a headache.

Question:

How many of you read for ENJOYMENT?

-novels

-newspaper

-non-fiction books

-magazines (the economist, time, macleans)

take your head out of your textbook and start reading for enjoyment. Once you become a prolific reader VR is an absolute breeze. Unlike what Kaplans or EC say, there is not secret to improving VR, you just have to read a lot, and the easiest way to do it is when you do it for pleasure purposes.

(ie. i've read posts where people say, read the economist to improve VR. well, if you are only reading it for some tangential reason, you are not going to get anything out of it, not to mention you'll probably find it as boring as hell.)

PS

don't you dare say you don't have time. literature is one of the great artistic achievements of society and is something everyone should do (it takes 20 minutes a day before you go to bed if nothing else).

I agree. During the Kaplan course, they told us to read as much as possible, gave us a good list of reading materials and tips on how to read critically. Although I'm not sure how helpful it would be to start reading materials other than textbooks a month or two before the exam!

I've always read for enjoyment and have consistently had a good score in VR.

I don't read too much, if I have a lot of free time I read novels but most of my reading is school related or online news....

I'm the type that gets obsessed with something when I get into it... so I don't like to read a book unless I know I can get through it in a couple days without bother......

I bought season 1 of the wire and watched it in just over 24 hours.... which was roughly 13 hours of dvd's.... haha so I don't find tooo much time to read or watch movies and tv for that matter but enjoy it when I do...

Just practice at verbal.... my only verbal advice is do practice reflect on questions you got wrong and were unsure of when you got them right... you'll get a "feel" for it.... I'm a good reader but hardly prolific.... and have never had trouble with verbal.

Okay the thing is, is that i have 4 months before i write my MCAT, so i read teh advice about not starting studying till 2 months before, but i want to practice VR the first few months.

For the next months, what should i read? does anyone have any good works of literature or magasines or anything that would help? thanks

Okay the thing is, is that i have 4 months before i write my MCAT, so i read teh advice about not starting studying till 2 months before, but i want to practice VR the first few months.

For the next months, what should i read? does anyone have any good works of literature or magasines or anything that would help? thanks

ok, you are not getting the point. you should be reading about subjects that interest you. Do you like politics, true crime, autobiographies, history, sci-fi, mystery, theology?

If you don't read something you enjoy YOU WON'T GET ANYTHING OUT OF IT!

(ie. read because you want to, not because you have to)

VR while not as easy to study for, its still a skill that can be taught, and I personally think that you can improve with practice (yes reading everything) but it takes way longer- You can't just cram for it and all of a sudden be able to think differently...

"you should be reading about subjects that interest you. "

Totally disagree on this point. To improve confidence and as a start read stuff you like, but you need to push into areas you don't like or know nothing about to actually get better for the MCAT. There are way too many abstract and odd passages in VR and practicing them is way better than sticking to the easy science ones.

Archived