Premed 101 Forums

Best Book Combination

pepe

Hey Guys,

I have been reading about which books can prepare me best for the MCAT. I was just wondering what you guys thought would be the best combination of books (Princeton Review, Kaplan, or EK) to really get a good review of everything thats on the test.

Thanks!

I'm writing the August MCAT, and from talking with people who used various books and visiting forums, this is what I found:

TPR is good for sciences, especially physical sciences

Examkracker biology is excellent

Kaplan is good for verbal strategies and writing samples.

Of course examkracker 1001 books are good for practice questions in problem areas. 101 verbal is a MUST.

If you've already taken first year bio, physics, orgo, and inorg chem, I'd choose EK for the sciences because they only go over what you're likely to be tested on and give you techniques to remember what you've learned. For the VR, I suggest trying all three companies' strategies if you have the time + money and decide which works best for you, but use Kaplan if you can't be bothered to put in the extra effort. Either way, if you're not naturally gifted in VR, expect to spend 2x the time and effort on mastering that vs. working on the sciences.

Archived