Premed 101 Forums

Is it enough to take a Review Course?

Hey everyone,

I was looking over my Princeton Review orientation guide and it states that the review course is approximately 10hrs inclass + 10-15 additional homework hrs per week. Is this - and the Kaplan course like it - sufficient for performing well on the MCAT, or did you successful MCATers supplement these courses with a lot of extra work.

I am expecting to put in several more hours per week to focus on weak areas, but I would like to know if I should lay most of my prep in the course-work?

Thanks in advance

i think a lot get buy with the review course (+ as many extra practice tests as you can do)

some people need more problems and add...

i used just princeton the first time and got an 11,11,9.... so this time around am adding so help for the 9 lol

hope that helps

i have read posts on this forum where people state that it takes 300-400hrs of prep to do well on the test. I personally think that is excessive (unless you have not taken any biology, chemistry, physics etc...

the only way you could do this without going insane is to start studying 5 months ahead of time and do like 3 hours a day.

i am on my second week of studying for the mcat (june 13) and do 6 hours/day and i am already going crazy. Although i just finished some of the pre-reqs so some of the material i am reviewing (Kaplan and Barrons) is kind of monotonous.

My diagnostic mcat was 9,9,8 so i plan on doing six hours a day until i reach 10, 13, 10 (my goal for the actual mcat) and then i will just take practice tests and review

ps

from the practice tests, it seems like the knowledge required is a lot more general than some people think. doing work from actual textbooks etc... gets into too many specifics that will be a waste of your time. the important part is that you know the general concepts stone cold (ie. thermodynamics, conservation of energy etc...)

It really depends on you. How you study, what you know, how quickly you learn new things, etc.

I know some people that did well and didn't really need to study much at all and others that put in a huge amount of time.

Personally, I wrote 3 times. The first 2 times I studied on my own while working much more than full-time. I didn't put in as much study time as I really needed and the studying I was doing was somewhat disorganized. I ended up with a 7PS, 11VR, 8BS, P-WS for the first one and a 7PS, 10VR, 8BS, Q-WS the second time (at least my science was consistent :) ).

I then took a Kaplan course which I think was 3 hrs twice a week. I studied like mad because I didn't want to screw up again. This was the 3rd summer I was wasting studying the same stuff... anyway, I figured out that I was probably putting in a grand total of 40hrs/week studying. That was a combination of Kaplan class time, writing practice tests and just regular studying. If you add up all the weeks from the end of May until mid August it definitely works out to be about 300-400hrs. (Worst part was I was also working 40 hrs/week). And yes I was going crazy but it was just a short time (under 3 months) and even though I didn't get exactly what I wanted, I did decent... 10PS, 12VR, 9BS, P WS and I was accepted this year so I never have to write it again which was my real goal for studying that much. :)

I should also mention that I haven't taken physics in university and I hadn't take organic chemistry ever and I took chemistry in first year which was 1999-2000. I wrote the MCAT in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

Good luck!

I am writing the MCATs for the first time this saturday (May 10th). I haven't started studying yet, and you guys just scared me.

I wrote the free practice exam about a year ago, and got 9, 9 ,9 with ease. So I was hoping to do about 2 days of studying and get a couple of 10s.

Eeeep

Well I have still been in university, and have been studying biology/physics/math.

The MCAT is supposed to measure my ability to think and my general knowledge of related fields, not my ability to write MCAT tests right?

What bridge do you live under?

Thanks for the motivation guys :rolleyes:

Don't you guys think the concepts of "review courses" and "practice exams", came much later than when MCATs were first introduced?

What makes you think, the people who write MCATs have people who take "review courses" in mind?

part of the reason review courses have become big is because mcat scores have become more competitive because more students realize how to write it better which puts pressure on other students to do increasingly better and better, .

from the practice tests i have done, the mcat has much more focus on one's ability to read and understand a passage quickly and apply the information to the questions using scientific principles and reasoning. there are very few questions that actually gauge strictly memorized information.

Haha, nice one SupaField.

Medisforme thats exactly what I meant when I said, I don't think the people that write the MCAT want to test for the ability to write MCATs. :)

Unfortunately, "the ability to write MCATs" is what they basically DO test these days. I know plenty of people who are good students, but really needed help to maximize how well they did on the MCAT. Some took it twice and went from mid-high 20s to low-mid 30s. The difference? They practiced how to write the MCAT. Their knowledge didn't change, but their ability to handle the types of questions on the MCAT at the MCAT's pace certainly did.

That said, some people are naturally able to do well on the MCAT because they are innately good at handling all those types of questions. Like those few people who can pick up and run a marathon with little to no training...it doesn't mean that people shouldn't practice running before the event, it just means that certain people are naturally able to do so.

Human instinct I am not a troll. I just happen to have a different world view than you, specially regarding medicine.

I just don't take the whole "OMG, MCATS, my life is on the line here. I want to be a doctor! and I will study so hard for it!" approach. I take the "Have you ever stared into stars? have you ever listened to music? how beautiful is it? I love life and all it has to offer, and want to discover all of it, oh... you want to know whats relevant about this discussion, yah I am considering medicine as a viable career path, now back to important stuff... did I ever tell you about the time when me and my friends lay on a blanket in the cold and shared life stories for 5 hours?"

I can see why some people would think thats trolling, it's really not though.

i think that is a premature judgement. he is just a regular pre-med who is lost/confused/naive about the whole process.
I am wandering, but "not all that wanders is lost", I am naive but hardly anyone would say Myshkin from "The idiot" had a vice to him.

I suppose I like Ghandi's quote "If you want to make a change in the world, you have to be that change". I don't like that it has become convention to learn the "tricks" to learning MCATs, so I will fight the system by not learning them.

My approach seems dumb, inefficient and unproductive you just have to see it in action though.

Oh, and I wrote my MCAT :)

I think I did extremely well on the PS, VR and one of the essays. One of the other essays was shaky and the biology section could be anywhere from 8-11.

I will let you know how I did when I get my marks back.

Assuming you really didn't have to study to get a 30....

Assuming you report back with a balanced 32 or higher.....

Given that you said you were studying for the test for 2 days....

I question why if you can score what some people would die for with <5% of the studying a normal applicant would put in that you wouldn't study for even 10-30% of the time to achieve an excellent mark and put yourself in the best position possible for applications...

You can be devoted to something and not be an obsessive malcontent at the same time. I agree a lot of people may go overboard about this stuff, but I respect someone more that puts in too much (within limits) than someone that treats the subject with levity. Medicine is something that should require a lot devotion...

Doing the absolute minimum you need to do to get an acceptable mark doesn't seem to me as a good quality for someone that may have a person's life in there hands in the future.

I'm sure you don't mind and are fine doing what you do, but if I saw this in a doctor I would lack confidence in him or her.... Just a personal opinion however, and this is the MCAT, not someone's life. However, for something a lot of people would consider the most extensive academic test of their life you seem to be taking it awfully lightly.

However, for something a lot of people would consider the most extensive academic test of their life you seem to be taking it awfully lightly.
I think this is the most extensive academic test I will have ever written. I don't think that is a big part of my life however, only 6 hours of it.

Medicine is something that should require a lot devotion...
I completely agree, I fail to see how the MCAT is relevant to Medicine however other than in ways in which we (not nature) choose to make it.

I question why if you can score what some people would die for with <5% of the studying a normal applicant would put in that you wouldn't study for even 10-30% of the time to achieve an excellent mark and put yourself in the best position possible for applications...
Who said I did <5% of the work others do for it? I read books I like, I attend lectures I like even if I am not in the courses, I have lively discussions about issues if it's interesting.

The <5% is the amount of time I spent teaching myself the "tricks" of MCATs through writing 2 practice tests.

I am not in any way against devoting oneself to a study, specially medicine. I am however against devoting oneself to a system of "getting into" a study, specially medicine.

There are parts of "the system" I don't agree with.

However, I refuse to abandon all humility and think that it doesn't affect me.

I would much rather sacrifice a few hours and some pride to see to it that I reach my goal.

I'm the first to agree that the best doctor will be a well-rounded individual... I still think you're taking it way too far in the other direction trying to downplay the MCAT....

For some people it does take work, and all the better to them when they succeed.

Human instinct I am not a troll. I just happen to have a different world view than you, specially regarding medicine.

I just don't take the whole "OMG, MCATS, my life is on the line here. I want to be a doctor! and I will study so hard for it!" approach. I take the "Have you ever stared into stars? have you ever listened to music? how beautiful is it? I love life and all it has to offer, and want to discover all of it, oh... you want to know whats relevant about this discussion, yah I am considering medicine as a viable career path, now back to important stuff... did I ever tell you about the time when me and my friends lay on a blanket in the cold and shared life stories for 5 hours?"

I can see why some people would think thats trolling, it's really not though.

I am wandering, but "not all that wanders is lost", I am naive but hardly anyone would say Myshkin from "The idiot" had a vice to him.

I suppose I like Ghandi's quote "If you want to make a change in the world, you have to be that change". I don't like that it has become convention to learn the "tricks" to learning MCATs, so I will fight the system by not learning them.

My approach seems dumb, inefficient and unproductive you just have to see it in action though.

Oh, and I wrote my MCAT :)

I think I did extremely well on the PS, VR and one of the essays. One of the other essays was shaky and the biology section could be anywhere from 8-11.

I will let you know how I did when I get my marks back.

Hey 3.145... Im sorry for the statement. it was certainly premature for me to think tht way...i understand that you may have been able to perform well with your way of study...anyway nice to hear that your mcat went ok!

However, I refuse to abandon all humility and think that it doesn't affect me.

I would much rather sacrifice a few hours and some pride to see to it that I reach my goal.

I do not think I am the only being in existence. I don't have a whole lot of pride. I do spend a lot of my time studying, I don't think it's a "sacrifice" though.

For some people it does take work, and all the better to them when they succeed.
Oh I definitely agree. Is the goal of the MCAT to learn how to write MCATs, or is the point of the MCAT to have doctors have good general knowlege? If it's the former, I am wrong. If it's the latter, then consider that I do believe in "If you want to make a change, you have to be that change". Have I then not taken the proper action for myself, logically speaking?

Human Instinct, no love lost. I know how irritating trolls can be.

I really don't mind that you can do well and don't wish to let the MCAT consume you....

As for the MCAT... it doesn't prove much... the correlation between licensing exams and success on the MCAT is weak at best for all sections some more correlative than others.

In Ontario it serves as a screen for interviews... not an indication of good doctors...

I apologize if these rants come off as an attack.... your views have become exceedingly more moderate, the only problem I had with your comments was coming to a thread where someone is wondering whether a prep course will properly prepare them for a test they're obviously wanting to do what it takes to do well on.... and remarking that you took a diagnostic a year ago will put a few days into it and should be good to go.... that doesn't answer the OP's question, it just seems like gloating....

However I'm sure that's not how you intended it.... so I'll apologize and stop ranting and just ask that you respect that for some people it does require a lot of effort and there isn't anything wrong with that.... which you've already indicated.... so best of luck to you and take care.

I am writing the MCATs for the first time this saturday (May 10th). I haven't started studying yet, and you guys just scared me.

I wrote the free practice exam about a year ago, and got 9, 9 ,9 with ease. So I was hoping to do about 2 days of studying and get a couple of 10s.

Eeeep

Thank God there are people like this on here. I wasn't quite this extreme, but I only did MAYBE like 10-15 hours of studying in total for the MCAT, since I did it after three years of a biology major/chemistry minor degree. I bought a $20 book and read through it, did a few practice exams, and read up mostly on the physics equations, etc.

I got an 11,11,10, Q. In retrospect, I probably could've scored a pretty solid score if I invested a ton of time and hundreds of dollars into crazy review courses, but I didn't think it was worth spending that much money.

I spent about six or seven weeks studying (not full-time, as I was simultaneously writing my masters' thesis), but I *probably* wouldn't have needed nearly as much time to study had I taken physics, intro chem, and even organic more recently. I hadn't taken any physiology before, though, so I was sketchy on much of that stuff (cell, evolution, genetics... all good! :)).

I think the review courses (and lengthy independent reviewing) are worthwhile if it's been a while since you took all the intro science courses. I just read the Kaplan book, did the practice problems, and a couple practice tests. I aced almost every VR practice test, and didn't write a single full practice essay (and I thought I botched the writing sample), but ended up with a 12 and an R.

In any case, I think it's a good mentality to have, not to be so focussed on the "pre-med" dynamic as to be all-consuming (which is one reason why I didn't start going to this forum until well after all my applications had been finished). Balance is good!

Archived