Premed 101 Forums

As a Canadian, how much can a high GPA make up for a medicore MCAT?

In my opinion,

if you think about the LizzyM score, which estimates your competitiveness in the formula, MCAT score + 10 * gpa,

your 3.83/30 would translate into something like 3.63/32.

But that's a very wide ballpark estimation.

The US schools seem more forgiving towards low gpa than low MCAT scores.

is that your amcas GPA or your canadian GPA?

Canadian...I'm applying after fourth year and I'm projecting that I'll end up with a max cumulative 3.4 (pretty pathetic, I know.).I'm assuming my amcas GPA can't be high enough to make much of a difference anyway. I'm writing the MCAT this August and hoping to do well enough to perhaps combat my sickly GPA...if that's possible?

I know it's a long shot but my plan is to apply to the US after fourth year, and during my 5th year of undergrad apply to Western and Mac as well.

i can only speak from what i have read and yes your GPA is lower than average of accepted but if you were to ace the mcat with a 37R the other factors in your life like ECs, clinical etc. would play a role.

are you an american citizen or green card holder?

Its definetely worth a shot. If you have an upwards trend in GPA that will definetely help. You can always do a postbacc year to up your gpa. What you can do is invest time to get your app in early, apply to every reasonable school, and make sure ur PS is strong.

Archived