Premed 101 Forums

How to put my CEGEP into my AMCAS application?

Hi everyone,

I have an undergrad student from Quebec and have graduated from CEGEP, how do I put in CEGEP into my application? Do I put it in as my first college? Do I call it a junior college? What degree do I say I got? a DEC??

Also, if I put it in as a college then will I have to insert all my CEGEP course grades too? I thought these wouldn't be looked at!

Thanks for any help.

In the application they say that they don't need your CEGEP transcript, which also means that they don't need your CEGEP grades. Just put it down as a junior college, I'm even using one of these profs for of my references.

Hi THX, where did you see that? What I saw was that if your CEGEP credits where transferred to University, which they usually are in Quebec (30 credits from CEGEP + 90 credit Uni programs), then they will want the transcript although they probably wont include the grades once you are verified. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I think I saw it while I was adding my CEGEP as a school that I attended. The prompt asked for something along the lines of "Is a transcript required for this school? Yes or No". If you selected no, it then would send you to another prompt asking for the reason why a transcript is not required (ie. choose one of the following). A few things were listed, the only ones I remember were CEGEP and Canada Grade 13. I also know of others having applied to the US with a CEGEP background and they did not need to send their transcript to AMCAS, however some schools may request it later on in the process (I think Albany wants to see it).

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this back, but for those of you who said that you either did not include your CEGEP transcript or that your CEGEP grades were removed by AMCAS upon verification, did you have more than 90 university credits at the time?

I currently have less than 90 but will have 90 once I graduate, I'm wondering if I should enter my CEGEP grades since I don't have 120 university credits. Thanks.

Okay, I have 5 transfer credits from CEGEP/AP appearing on my university transcript. I think I'm suppose to include these under the CEGEP as advanced placement. Do you know if I need to include the grade itself? All I have on my university transcript is "CR". Do you know if we need the actual grade? (I'd have to head over to my old cegep and see if I can get it).

The AMCAS help is kind of confusing:

· If the Canadian institution awarding transfer credit does NOT provide letter grades other than Pass/Fail:

· Indicate "Advanced Placement" as the Course Type and provide all other required course data, entering the transcript grade exactly as it appears on your official transcript.

· AMCAS will NOT include this course work in AMCAS GPAs; however, AMCAS will include this course work in cumulative Advanced Placement credit hour totals.

I'm not sure if they are talking about the university or CEGEP transcript.

Okay, I have 5 transfer credits from CEGEP/AP appearing on my university transcript. I think I'm suppose to include these under the CEGEP as advanced placement. Do you know if I need to include the grade itself? All I have on my university transcript is "CR". Do you know if we need the actual grade? (I'd have to head over to my old cegep and see if I can get it).

The AMCAS help is kind of confusing:

I'm not sure if they are talking about the university or CEGEP transcript.

Their CEGEP section is quite confusing. But I'm sure if the grade isn't indicated on your transcript then you shouldn't have to provide it. They basically want you to report everything that's on your transcript.

So I read their Help section on entering CEGEP grades and I didn't find my answers. This is how I've decided to do it:

1) I've requested my official CEGEP transcript to be forwarded.

2) I've entered ALL course grades from my 2 years of CEGEP.

3) I put in the credits indicated on my CEGEP transcript (e.g. 2.33, 2.66, 1.00, etc.) although only 30 credits of my 2 years are accepted by my University.

4) I've indicated ALL of the courses to have been in the "Freshman" status, I didn't know what else to put.. so it looks like this:

CEGEP year 1 Freshman

CEGEP year 2 Freshman

University Yr 1 Sophmore

University Yr 2 Junior

University Yr 3 Senior

Now I'm thinking of emailing them to ask whether I should mark all of the courses that I entered as Advanced Standing. :?

For the moment, I've only included my transfer credits. I added them under my CEGEP coursework and included 'AP' as my grade along with 1.0 as their credit value. There wasn't anyway around it in my case, because my university amalgamated a bunch of courses under the same title (ie. 3 english half courses are now 1.0 English (only 1 course), how would I ever enter a grade for something like this?).

That said, I switched programs once I reached university and will spend 4 years here - so they are not nearly as important to me as they are for others, I'm simply using them to meet a few of the prerequisites.

I don't think they need all the courses, just those that our universities recognized.

• 4 weeks later...

How did your CEGEP courses appear? After being verified they have mine down as exempt and no course hours listed. I'm worried because my prereqs are part of these courses (English and Math) and most schools require one full year.

Any thoughts?

i will only be submitting my primary tonght or tomorrow since im taking the mcat on the 18th and wont have the results until mid-August.

Regarding your problem (and soon to be mine), I'm not 100% sure but I think they will take into consideration that we took those courses despite not factoring them into our GPA. If they don't, I'm hope we can call and make them understand that those do in fact satisfy the Uni requirements..

Yeah, I know that if done properly they will count. But I imagine CEGEP is still a bit odd to them because such a small percentage of people going through AMCAS have it and they can make mistakes. I'm trying to figure out of Exemption = AP = Credit for prerequisite. So far, I don't know.

• 4 weeks later...

One more thing:

I think is a mistake:

My 3 years are as follows:

Freshman: 30 hours

Sophmore: 21 hours

Junior: 24 hours

But AMCAS calculated it as:

Freshman: 30 hours

Sophmore: 33 hours

Junior: 12 hours

Is this normal or should I request a change?

My credits were not sorted out. I contacted the AAMC and they told me it was according to their 'policy', whatever that means. So, 30 credits are not accounted for and appear as 'exempt'. Are your courses appearing as exempt as well?

I don't think it is a big deal, if the schools have any issue with your prereqs they will either contact you now or want a transcript once you are accepted.

Yours says exempt? Mine have the symbol next to them that means "a type of coursework not meant to be verified". And they arent counted in my total undergrad credits.

Where does it say exempt in yours? That probably means they are at least accounted for, mine seems like they completely ignored them.

It says exempt on the printable version of the application (where the GPA is listed).

I think you are okay though, CEGEP Grades were never suppose to be verified. If you are worried about it, write a letter to each school explaining what CEGEP is and how your courses should meet their prerequisites.

Archived