Premed 101 Forums

Useful Courses for MCAT

ysk1

For those of us that have not taken any science in university yet (I have an arts degree), and who only have this upcoming school year (5 full courses) to play with in terms of getting the background needed for the MCAT, what is really important on top of general chem and bio?

Thanks,

Steph

For those of us that have not taken any science in university yet (I have an arts degree), and who only have this upcoming school year (5 full courses) to play with in terms of getting the background needed for the MCAT, what is really important on top of general chem and bio?

Thanks,

Steph

organic chem! it'll be SO much easier if you've done it before you write the MCAT.

Definitely organic chem and physics. I would recommend both Organic I and II since many of the mechanisms that are on the MCAT are from organic II. Organic I will not be enough for most people. However, there was this one guy in my Kaplan class who had never taken any organic and he was learning it all during the summer at an incredible pace. He was absolutely brilliant.

Also, for physics, I recommend physics I and II. If you just take the first university course, you'll miss out on lots of useful info.

If you have time, a physiology course can be really helpful. My MCAT was full of it!

Zuck

Physics

General chem

Organic chem

Physiology

Biochem

Genetics

some kind of composition course

Psychology or some other social science

No matter what you do though, make sure that you read all the time and consistently. Regardless of content, a big portion of the MCAT is good reading comprehension/ability to read quickly.

Thanks,

Steph

PHYSICS. It's probably the most straightforward part of the MCAT. I also did an Arts degree and appreciated just how black-and-white the Physical Sci section was.

• 1 month later...
Hey guys, did a lot of you found Physics 4U enough for the MCAT?

Yep, there will be nothing on there more advanced than that, IIRC.

Also, for VR/ WS, I'd recommend Philosophy courses over English courses any day. You still have to read complicated books/ papers, and write essays, but philosophy teaches you how to make a good, logical argument and understand the important points of someone else's. And this is arguably more important, at least on the WS, assuming you have a competent grasp at English prose to begin with.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived