Premed 101 Forums

Help me narrow my list!

Guest begaster

36S, 3.8+ (with last two years being 3.9ish and 4), fair bit of volunteering, lots of research (though no pubs :( ).

I think I'm looking at:

1. Yale

2. Columbia University

3. Pritzker

4. Vanderbilt

5. Emory

6. Northwestern - Feinberg

7. Case Western Reserve

8. CCLCM

9. Mayo

10. Dartmouth

11. New York University

12. University of Pennsylvania

13. Albert Einstein

14. Rosalind Franklin

15. Georgetown

I didn't bother with Wayne State, or any of the lower tier schools, because I doubt I'd be happy going there and would probably just reject and do an MSc instead. Didn't bother with Hahvahd, JHU, and WashU because, really, I doubt I can get into any of them so why waste my time and money?

Any schools I should get rid of from here? Any schools I should add?

I like how you've made up your mind about only applying to schools where you feel you'll be happy. It's a big commitment and if you want to go big or not at all, so be it. Just be sure that you'd rather be *big-pimpin MD*, or are content being *just an MD*.

If you've axed schools like LSU and SUNY Upstate, I think you should also axe Roslaind Franklin. You're better than that.

Lastly, not to be a punk, but you're facing steep steep steep competition so be prepared for Plan B if you opt to go your chosen route. But you already knew that, I'm sure.

Hope it works out.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest begaster

It's really not that I think "I'm better than that." The rankings don't mean all too much to me. My choice has nothing to do with wanting to be a a "big-pimpin' MD." It has to do with the research opportunities that the more established institutions can offer me. I'm not interested in medicine without the research aspects of it, and good research is something the lower tier institutions don't offer me.

I left Rosalind Franklin on there as my "just in case." I'm not sure if I should lose it in favor of a few more mid-tier schools or not. I'm not really even sure what counts as mid-tier, at this point. What are three mid-tier schools friendly to Canadians that I can replace it with?

Wake Forest, Maryland and Tufts?

I like how you've made up your mind about only applying to schools where you feel you'll be happy. It's a big commitment and if you want to go big or not at all, so be it. Just be sure that you'd rather be *big-pimpin MD*, or are content being *just an MD*.

If you've axed schools like LSU and SUNY Upstate, I think you should also axe Roslaind Franklin. You're better than that.

Lastly, not to be a punk, but you're facing steep steep steep competition so be prepared for Plan B if you opt to go your chosen route. But you already knew that, I'm sure.

Hope it works out.

I don't think there is anything wrong with applying to top tier schools, and I don't think there is anything wrong with applying to schools where you feel you will be happy at, granted that you took the time to investigate even those 'lesser schools'.

I never believed there is anything wrong with a "Ball hard or fall hard" motto, but don't be crying if you fall hard.

The thing with top tier schools, and with US schools in general is that there is a lot of luck involved, not as structured as Canada in their med schools. I'm sure Begaster knows that and is rather willing to try applying again rather than attend a med school he wouldn't be happy at.

Lets not forget that a lot of top tier schools can offer financial aid and scholarships. Some LowER tier schools have ridiculous tuitions/demands (wayne, msu, even SLU). That may be reason enough to cut them out

I don't think there is anything wrong with applying to top tier schools, and I don't think there is anything wrong with applying to schools where you feel you will be happy at, granted that you took the time to investigate even those 'lesser schools'.

I never believed there is anything wrong with a "Ball hard or fall hard" motto, but don't be crying if you fall hard.

The thing with top tier schools, and with US schools in general is that there is a lot of luck involved, not as structured as Canada in their med schools. I'm sure Begaster knows that and is rather willing to try applying again rather than attend a med school he wouldn't be happy at.

Lets not forget that a lot of top tier schools can offer financial aid and scholarships. Some LowER tier schools have ridiculous tuitions/demands (wayne, msu, even SLU). That may be reason enough to cut them out

No argument here :)

It's really not that I think "I'm better than that." The rankings don't mean all too much to me. My choice has nothing to do with wanting to be a a "big-pimpin' MD." It has to do with the research opportunities that the more established institutions can offer me. I'm not interested in medicine without the research aspects of it, and good research is something the lower tier institutions don't offer me.

I left Rosalind Franklin on there as my "just in case." I'm not sure if I should lose it in favor of a few more mid-tier schools or not. I'm not really even sure what counts as mid-tier, at this point. What are three mid-tier schools friendly to Canadians that I can replace it with?

Wake Forest, Maryland and Tufts?

Whatever your reasons, don't worry about it. I wasn't trying to be judgmental and it's completely up to you. Sorry if I came across that way.

Some Mid-tier Canadian friendly schools are:

-SUNY Upstate (syracuse)

-MSU-CHM

-Wayne State

-SLU

(I don't know if you meant aside from these.)

I don't get why people keep asking "Am I going to get in?" while also listing they're ECs and GPAs.

If you are able to calculate your GPA to a 3.8, you're obviously smart enough to go onto every single possible med school website and look at the average admission stats.

There's also no need to list every single med school and say you have a 3.8GPA and a 36 MCAT score to know that you're probably in the top 5%-10% of all university students mostly everywhere, and pretty much can almost guarantee any entrance requirements.

You can most likely tell by the fact that most of your university career that the class average lies at a 2.3-3GPA. Most universities at least, have only about 10-15% graduating with honours, or around a 3.5+(or 3.7+) GPA.

Another interesting point, why would you care about whether you want a "top-edge" research school. Do you really think that its going to affect where you end up? Probably not. You're still going to be doing the same job, and following the same career path that someone from a non "top-edge" or tier or w/e school counterpart. If you are really interested in reserach then go into research, and focus on either medicine or the other to get the best results. You can do medical research without going to a medical school (but you probably already know that), just without the money you'd get from being a doctor. For example, my anatomy/phys/pharm prof that taught at med school had a PhD, he wasn't an M.D., but yet was involved in medical research (OBS/GYN).

Honestly speaking, when I go through all of these forums listing ridiculous GPAs, I don't see the point of having someone else tell you that you're better qualified (at least academically) than them when applying to a medical school. I'm assuming some people just enjoy being better than others (or at least thinking so). I really don't think that you need another 10 people to confirm what you already know. If you worked hard enough and smart enough to maintain that GPA, then you're more than likely, just like university, use the self-directed learning you've used all those years in university to find out all of the information on your own, by working just as hard and smart to look at all the med school websites to get all of the information you would ever want.

Have fun. Seriously. ;)

Sincerely,

Stef

Guest begaster

Or perhaps I'm simply floating in the dark here in regards to American schools. Knowing the admissions averages is meaningless if you haven't the foggiest idea what their policies regarding Canadians are. Are we in a separate pool or the same? Considered OOS or international? I ask questions here to gleam information from people who have been where I am. If I was an American, it would not be an issue, I agree. I am not American - I am simply looking at a list of 120 schools and feeling very, very lost.

Furthermore, stop assuming I'm doing this for an ego boost. I sure as hell am not and do not appreciate the insinuation. Moreover, do not pretend that you understand my motivations regarding medicine versus research - you do not in the least (though thank you for immediately accusing me, in such a delightfully sly manner, that I am doing medicine for the money - it logically ties in with the fact that research means academic medicine, and academic medicine means far lower pay). I would explain them, but I'm not here to justify myself to you. As for affecting where I end up, if I was looking to do pure clinical medicine post-graduation, then you are correct, it would make no difference. But, I am not. I'm interested in a combination of medicine and biomedical research, and the research opportunities given in a top institution will open that door for me.

Most importantly, if you do not want to read these threads, then do not. Other than that, show some common decency and stop being so incredibly incendiary and judgmental towards people who are asking for help.

Thanks.

Being on SDN really helps out a lot, and there seems to be some different perspectives from very credible people over there. Just a few things that I should share

- Going to a top tier school may give you an edge when applying for Residency and getting an H1-B visa. WHICH is NOT as hard as people are making it seem on premed101 as as it seems to be on SDN. In fact, A program director himself made not that it will not affect you at all for IM (he is the PD for IM) and that when he looks at applicants he doesn't look at visa requests.

- Going to a lower tier US school doesn't doom you. Look at their match lists and you will see people getting seats at some top tier programs or really competitive programs

- This year, There was a person who graduated from albany that less than competitive stats for Canadian med schools that pulled in multiple interviews in RADIOLOGY (yes you read that right) in canada, but chose to withdraw and stay in the States because his wife had matched into a program that he did as well. There are even stories of a person who graduated from a DO schools that matched into Path at UT. Another matched into his second choice program but in pathology.

all this reminds me of the Mac health sci vs all the other lifesci programs debate back in high school.

Besides the name, top tier schools make the 'tools' you need to succeed much more accessible, but that's not to say you can't in lower tier schools, you just may have a couple of hoops to jump through.

With that said, I think one thing I've learned is judging the school on paper is one thing, but seeing it for yourself is another. I might just apply to a bunch of schools that I may not "like" on paper, and if I am lucky to be granted an interview, I will definitely go and check it out.

I don't get why people keep asking "Am I going to get in?" while also listing they're ECs and GPAs.

If you are able to calculate your GPA to a 3.8, you're obviously smart enough to go onto every single possible med school website and look at the average admission stats.

There's also no need to list every single med school and say you have a 3.8GPA and a 36 MCAT score to know that you're probably in the top 5%-10% of all university students mostly everywhere, and pretty much can almost guarantee any entrance requirements.

You can most likely tell by the fact that most of your university career that the class average lies at a 2.3-3GPA. Most universities at least, have only about 10-15% graduating with honours, or around a 3.5+(or 3.7+) GPA.

Another interesting point, why would you care about whether you want a "top-edge" research school. Do you really think that its going to affect where you end up? Probably not. You're still going to be doing the same job, and following the same career path that someone from a non "top-edge" or tier or w/e school counterpart. If you are really interested in reserach then go into research, and focus on either medicine or the other to get the best results. You can do medical research without going to a medical school (but you probably already know that), just without the money you'd get from being a doctor. For example, my anatomy/phys/pharm prof that taught at med school had a PhD, he wasn't an M.D., but yet was involved in medical research (OBS/GYN).

Honestly speaking, when I go through all of these forums listing ridiculous GPAs, I don't see the point of having someone else tell you that you're better qualified (at least academically) than them when applying to a medical school. I'm assuming some people just enjoy being better than others (or at least thinking so). I really don't think that you need another 10 people to confirm what you already know. If you worked hard enough and smart enough to maintain that GPA, then you're more than likely, just like university, use the self-directed learning you've used all those years in university to find out all of the information on your own, by working just as hard and smart to look at all the med school websites to get all of the information you would ever want.

Have fun. Seriously. ;)

Sincerely,

Stef

I can understand your frustration, which hold strength for Canadian schools. I personally hate it when the person with the 3.92 GPA is wondering whether they are competitive. US schools are much more random, you may have great stats and get rejected, or you may have less than average stats and be granted an interview.

Assumptions, are dangerous my friend. :D

That's why I love making them; but nonetheless, so is tolerance. :cool:

I find there's a delicate balance in life; either way the majority of people will end up with >6 figure salaries while the rest with 6 or more figures. Deep down inside we all know that it plays a factor, regardless of what we say.

I just find it odd when people aren't happy with what they have, which by the way, is another assumption that I'm making.

My point being, regardless of where you apply and decide to go, try to make the best of it; even if its not a "top-tier" medical school without crazy amounts of research funds. I don't think that there's one medical school out there that you wouldn't be satisfied, and just remember that even if you don't end up in a top research one, that it won't hold you back to go back to school and end up taking more courses to become a Medical Scientist. If your goal is to become a doctor no matter what, how, when, or where; then you'll accomplish that dream and be satisfied that you made it through. :)

Yes, there are tons of unknowns about Medical School (espcially in the states), but hence that's why its also sort-of like a lottery (which by the way, makes it unpredictable and fun, and also causes all sorts of concerns and worries; and hence useful forums like these).

-Stef

I post here when I think I can help because more than anything, the US application process is a game. If you play it right, you win. It doesn't depend as much on concrete numbers, cutoffs and ECs like it does here in Canada. This can only be appreciated after a cycle and when you look back at your experience.

Knowing how to play the application game helps big time. If I knew the things I do now about US schools when I applied, it would have helped me even more.

Its not nearly as straightforward as OMSAS, and if you don't have all your classmates discussing it with you from Day 1, it can be very daunting in this uncharted territory.

Also, knowing who to listen to is important. It's nice to have a Canadian applicants perspective, and find out what worked and what to avoid.

I don't judge the 40/4.0 applicants who ask questions and assume they're sticking their neck out for attention because its a completely new arena and everyone starts somewhere, no matter where they're coming from.

Agree with Alastriss.

Guest begaster

Okay, this is my final list, I think. Any last words of advice? Add anything, take away any schools?

1. Yale

2. Columbia University

3. Pritzker

4. Vanderbilt

5. Emory

6. Northwestern - Feinberg

7. Case Western Reserve

8. CCLCM

9. Mayo

10. Dartmouth

11. New York University

12. University of Pennsylvania

13. Albert Einstein

14. Wake Forest

15. Georgetown

16. University of Maryland

17. WashU

18. University of Connecticut

19. Albany Medical College

20. St. Louis

21. Michigan State University

Looks good to me. Give it a day or two to see if anyone else wants to comment. If you want, you can also post your stats, situation and thoughts on the 'Where the Apply/ What are my Chances' thread on SDN. But in the end, its up to you and where you want to go.

Just use the downtime to work on 2ndary prompts.

GLuck.

EDIT: If you do post your case on SDN, just know that most replies will be along the lines of 'add more safeties'. Just a heads up.

I post here when I think I can help because more than anything, the US application process is a game. If you play it right, you win. It doesn't depend as much on concrete numbers, cutoffs and ECs like it does here in Canada. This can only be appreciated after a cycle and when you look back at your experience.

Knowing how to play the application game helps big time. If I knew the things I do now about US schools when I applied, it would have helped me even more.

Its not nearly as straightforward as OMSAS, and if you don't have all your classmates discussing it with you from Day 1, it can be very daunting in this uncharted territory.

Also, knowing who to listen to is important. It's nice to have a Canadian applicants perspective, and find out what worked and what to avoid.

I don't judge the 40/4.0 applicants who ask questions and assume they're sticking their neck out for attention because its a completely new arena and everyone starts somewhere, no matter where they're coming from.

Agree with Alastriss.

Would you mind giving us advice on what you have learned? I remember from the acceptance thread you were successful, and I notice that it is different, but if you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences and your perspective I we would all greatly appreciate it

Also maybe if you can comment on some of the schools you interviewed at? There are some things that people's opinions captures that USNews and heresay doesn't.

I had a few interviews at mid tier schools like SUNY Upstate, etc. Got into a few. Not much more to say about myself. :)

As for advice, you just have to keep on top of things. Don't procrastinate. Period. Some schools like Georgetown get 10,000 applications and 5000+ is normal, so try to get yours in early.

One major piece of advice I can give is know what kind of LORs are expected from you, because it plays a role in getting things rolling in your favor early:

2 science profs

1 non-science prof

This is the bare minimum, and the profs must have taught you in a course and gave you a grade.

And use Interfolio for your LORs. Anything else must be a nightmare.

So, now you're warned about what LORs you need and can get on top of that.

If you haven't sent in your primary app yet, make sure you've already requested your transcripts to go, since this can cause a hold up in the review and it takes about 10 days to get it to AMCAS in the mail. Do that now.

USNews should not be something you use when deciding which med school to go to. Anything in top 20 is amazing, top 30 is great, the middle is muddy and the schools are all equal in terms of prestige and quality, and then theres bottom 50. In the end, this isn't very important and I won't elaborate on it just now. More important is finding a school that 'fits'... right curriculum for you, city you like, research ops, student clubs, etc.

I can't remember much more specific right now, but if I read something and can comment, I will.

I had a few interviews at mid tier schools like SUNY Upstate, etc. Got into a few. Not much more to say about myself. :)

As for advice, you just have to keep on top of things. Don't procrastinate. Period. Some schools like Georgetown get 10,000 applications and 5000+ is normal, so try to get yours in early.

One major piece of advice I can give is know what kind of LORs are expected from you, because it plays a role in getting things rolling in your favor early:

2 science profs

1 non-science prof

This is the bare minimum, and the profs must have taught you in a course and gave you a grade.

And use Interfolio for your LORs. Anything else must be a nightmare.

So, now you're warned about what LORs you need and can get on top of that.

If you haven't sent in your primary app yet, make sure you've already requested your transcripts to go, since this can cause a hold up in the review and it takes about 10 days to get it to AMCAS in the mail. Do that now.

USNews should not be something you use when deciding which med school to go to. Anything in top 20 is amazing, top 30 is great, the middle is muddy and the schools are all equal in terms of prestige and quality, and then theres bottom 50. In the end, this isn't very important and I won't elaborate on it just now. More important is finding a school that 'fits'... right curriculum for you, city you like, research ops, student clubs, etc.

I can't remember much more specific right now, but if I read something and can comment, I will.

The profs must have taught you? Bah... what if you don't know any profs very well?

Oh, and if you don't mind me asking, what were your stats? Are you an American citizen?

The profs must have taught you? Bah... what if you don't know any profs very well?

Oh, and if you don't mind me asking, what were your stats? Are you an American citizen?

Tough luck. Gotta find someone. That's the bi*ch. :)

Stats pretty average. 32-36MCAT, 3.8+ GPA.

Canadian Citizen, not american.

Don't know if you still need this, but here it is....

I wouldn't bother applying to the ones in red, unless you really want to go there. I think you may end up there and some day think "I know I could've done better".

SUNY Upstate is usually a good safety for Canadians-- good to see you have it.

If you think you should add some safeties, also consider:

Michigan State University-CHM

Saint Louis University

Cornell

EVMS

Brown is almost certainly a waste of $30 (no hard feelings or anything to do with you, its the way of the school). I would recommend that you not waste your time, but the cost:opportunity rate is pretty small and may be worth the investment. It might be a better idea to switch Brown with one of the above safeties.

Thanks for your help KFed :)

Guest begaster

Alastriss, what schools are friendly to transferring into their MD-PhD program? One of my supervisors has been acting very strange (read: rude) lately. I no longer trust him/her to have my back and write me a powerful letter. I think I'll go the MD-only route, where I won't need to rely on said person.

You should check this out:

http://www.mdapplicants.com

I just punched in your GPA and MCAT, and there's a lot of schools in your list that are within your reach. Check it out!

GPA ~= 3.83

MCAT = 36S (13P/12V/11B)

Lots of research. Fairly strong ECs/volunteer work/actual work.

* Harvard

* Hopkins

* Washington Univeristy (St. Louis)

* University of Pennsylvania

* Duke

* Stanford

* Yale

* Columbia University

* Pritzker

* Vanderbilt

* UNC - Chapel Hill

* Emory

* Northwestern - Feinberg

* Case Western Reserve & CCLCM

* Mayo

* Mount Sinai

* Brown University

* Dartmouth

* New York University

* University of Minnesota

* Yeshiva

* Georgetown

* Wake Forest

* Boston University

* University of Maryland

* Indiana University

* Tufts

* Medical College of Wisconsin

* University of Connecticut

* Stony Brook

* Tulane

* University of Vermont

* Albany Medical College

* Jefferson

So what are my safeties from this list, what are my reaches, and what are right on target? I want to bring it down to about 15-20 schools, preferably Northeastern region. Probably like 8 reaches, 9 targets, 3 safeties? My first choice for a school is a toss-up between Mayo and CCLCM at Case Western.

Any help much appreciated.

Guest begaster

Neither of those take into account the Canadian factor. Regardless, I already have my list. Thanks either way, though. :)

Alastriss, answer my question! :D

Archived