Premed 101 Forums

Help me narrow my list!

Guest begaster

Neither of those take into account the Canadian factor. Regardless, I already have my list. Thanks either way, though. :)

Alastriss, answer my question! :D

Canadian factor is not even as much of a deal as it is made it out to be + GROSSLY offset by the ridiculously high achieving sample size of mdapplicants.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what I have:

RFU - prefers that you go through MD first and then switch to MD/PhD. The way you do this is by doing a transition program during the summer of 1st year, and then you get into MD/PhD. AECOM also prefers this.

UVM, UConn, SUNY upstate - The would definitely consider you and would give you an edge ( you are already in meds, they know you will be committed (read: take their offer because you can't really ditch them for another school), and you know exactly what you are getting into) but it ultimately depends on availability, Which I hear is not too bad since a fair number drop out and go MD only.

Honestly Begaster, the best way is to call them up and just ask them how receptive they are to getting into the mstp/md/phd. Will they let you transfer, officially apply, or not be happy about it? Finally you want to ask if being a canadian citizen will impact - only because you are not entitled to receiving NIH funding which is for citizens/PRs only. This shouldn't be a problem, most schools have external funding anyways.

Archived