Premed 101 Forums

Credits during summer

Hi all,

I need some clarification as to how credits at Ryerson are equivalent to "1 year" or "1 semester" or "2 semester" requirements at US univs. UofT might have similar if not identical credit scale.

Some US universities require that I have 1 year of Physics. Other universities say I need 2 semesters. Does 2 semesters = 1 year?

Now at Ryerson there is a course called Physics for Health Science + lab which will run during the summer for 2 months. This course is worth 1.0 credits.

Is this considered a "2 semester" course if it is worth 1.0 credits?

A 1.0 credit course is typically considered a full year course (ie. two semester/two term course) while a 0.5 credit course would be half a year only. This is regardless of when you took the course (during the year or during the spring/summer).

Since this course has a lab component, my guess is that this is worth 0.5. If that is the case, then the core course itself is only worth 0.5 (add the lab and you get 1.0). Then does that mean the course is actually only half-year?

Hi all,

I need some clarification as to how credits at Ryerson are equivalent to "1 year" or "1 semester" or "2 semester" requirements at US univs. UofT might have similar if not identical credit scale.

Some US universities require that I have 1 year of Physics. Other universities say I need 2 semesters. Does 2 semesters = 1 year?

Now at Ryerson there is a course called Physics for Health Science + lab which will run during the summer for 2 months. This course is worth 1.0 credits.

Is this considered a "2 semester" course if it is worth 1.0 credits?

2 semesters = 1 year

0.5 credits = 1 semester

1.0 credits = 2 semesters/1 year

For AMCAS, just put in 0.5 or 1.0, however it is on your transcript and AMCAS will take care of the rest. No need to worry about changing stuff to semester hours.

Archived