Premed 101 Forums

are US med schools your plan B?

I'm just wondering,

how many of you guys out there applying this year consider US med schools as plan B? So if you don't get into Canadian schools, that is.

If you got into like a top tier US med schools and a Canadian med school,

which one would you go to?

Do you ever think about the cost? And the interest that will accumulate over time?

I just realized I'll be indebted for a big chunk of my life if I go to a US school

You're exactly right, most of the US schools I've applied to are "safety" schools. Some of the US schools however were top tier, and I'd put them above the Canadian medical schools in my order of preference. I really don't understand my reasoning behind it, I guess if you were to have your life's profession on display, might as well have a fancy name to go along with it. The cost is somewhat of an issue, and my family is the furthest thing from wealthy. But surprisingly, it doesn't really seem daunting at all. If you do what you love, then everything will work out.

You're exactly right, most of the US schools I've applied to are "safety" schools. Some of the US schools however were top tier, and I'd put them above the Canadian medical schools in my order of preference. I really don't understand my reasoning behind it, I guess if you were to have your life's profession on display, might as well have a fancy name to go along with it. The cost is somewhat of an issue, and my family is the furthest thing from wealthy. But surprisingly, it doesn't really seem daunting at all. If you do what you love, then everything will work out.

I think in some cases it may be more difficult to be admitted into an American school than a Canadian (even amongst the low tier schools). It really depends on how the school treats international applicants.

Guest begaster

It really depends. Above all, I want a medical school with solid research opportunities, because that's what I love. If I get into a top-tier US school, but a non-research Canadian school, I'll go to the US.

It really depends. Above all, I want a medical school with solid research opportunities, because that's what I love. If I get into a top-tier US school, but a non-research Canadian school, I'll go to the US.

Cornell and Case Western are pretty big on research.

Archived