Premed 101 Forums

American Applications

Congratz, I was wondering when you submitted your primary. Its been almost 2 weeks for me and my primary hasn't even went through. My status is "Submitted to AMCAS - Ready for Review" and its been like that for about 5 days. Suggestions, comments?

Guest begaster

^

There's a little check-box that says "Current/Future courses" or something along those lines. Just check it off and you should be fine.

So I've officially applied to the MD-only programs:

Yale -- MD

Pritzker – MD

Vanderbilt – MD (can retry after first year)

Case Western Reserve – MD

Mayo – MD

New York University – MD

Wake Forest – MD

Georgetown – MD

Albany Medical College – MD

St. Louis – MD

Michigan State University – MD

University of Vermont – MD

Now, I just need to finish my MudPhud essays and add in my MSTP schools:

Columbia University – MSTP

Emory – MSTP

Northwestern - Feinberg – MSTP

Dartmouth – MSTP

University of Virgina – MSTP

Cornell – MSTP

Mount Sinai – MSTP

Albert Einstein – MSTP

UPenn – MSTP

WashU – MSTP

University of Maryland – MSTP

Guest begaster

Most of the schools don't accept Canadians, and a few that do won't fund them. I only applied to programs willing to fund international/Canadian students, though I may add Duke to the list.

MD/PhD-offering schools will fund you. Its MSTP schools that don't have funding other than NIH that will not. NIH funded MSTP seats comes from the gov't so you need to be a tax payer to be entitled for them. You can get non-NIH funded MSTP seats or MD/PhD seats as a canadian.

Guest begaster

Yes. Either off their website, or through calling them.

Though now I'm having a strong internal debate over MD or MD-PhD.

Guys I have something of a Dilemma concerning my references.

I have a combination of 3 references from various sourcces.

1 of which is a supervisor whom I personally worked with and got to know really well who I am confident will write me a glowing reference letter

1 of which will be a professor who has taught me and was my 4th year thesis coordinator and is in the department I am in, but i will have a Grad student whom I worked with hopefully help him write a reference for me

1 of which is my supervisor for my summer research job, 4th year thesis, and my lab work for this current summer. The issue is that i got to look over my reference letter, and It doesn't seem very impressive. It said that I did research and 4th year thesis, and the research that I did, and made a 1 liner that it is tough research to do. She talked about attending a conference and winning a 3rd place prize, and ended with simply saying I would make an outstanding physician. It just seems to be more a regurgitation of my 15 item list. Its not that she has nothing good to say, but she seemed to have completely given up on me the moment she found out I was interested in medicine and I didn't think she seemed to care to put the effort in. It says nothing about my critical thinking ability, or anything else other than, and ONLY this:

My project was difficult to do but I succeeded

I would make an outstanding physician.

Is this typical of a good reference letter? mediocre? bad? I don't quite know.

Archived