Premed 101 Forums

American Applications

Guest begaster

I won't claim to know the answer to your question, but I just want to verify something - your letters are by two science professors and one non-science professor, right? That seems to be what a lot of schools look for.

I won't claim to know the answer to your question, but I just want to verify something - your letters are by two science professors and one non-science professor, right? That seems to be what a lot of schools look for.

Actually I got the impression of 2 science professors and 1 individual of your choice, not necessarily non-science or even professor.

This is the list of schools I m applying to and their reference requirements:

vanderbilt - 2 science and one chosen by yourself

emory - same as vanderbilt

case western - same as above

dartmouth - 2 letters of reference

NYU - 2 science letters

SUNY upstate - 2 letters from different departments

mt. sinai - 1 letter from science and another from non-science

Guest begaster

Ah, interesting. I was told by LizzyM that that's how her school operates, so I figured it was the status quo. My bad.

You're applying to Mount Sinai? I got scared off from their MD-only program because they offer no financial help to Canadians. :(

Ah, interesting. I was told by LizzyM that that's how her school operates, so I figured it was the status quo. My bad.

You're applying to Mount Sinai? I got scared off from their MD-only program because they offer no financial help to Canadians. :(

Begaster, I have some intention to switch into MSTP or MD/PhD possibly after MI or MII. I think there are a lot of schools that actually prefer this (RFU for one prefers this). I just want to make sure I can commit to MD/PhD 100%. Generally speaking, research intensive schools are pretty receptive to you switching over, provided that you were qualified. This is because they know you will be committed to them when you get accepted, and you received at least 1 year of nurture with them, and you know for sure what you are getting yourself into.

Mt. Sinai is pretty much a 'reach' in my books, my MCAT is just above their average accepted, and the gpa about 0.15 higher. I suspect that many of those accepted have paper publications/clinical research while I'm stuck with less-than-paper pubs and basic science research.

Yeah Rosalind Franklin U. I emailed a whole bunch, most are receptive to you switching into the program after first and second year. While a few of them will allow you to transfer, most will allow you to apply. Yet you have 2 chances to apply (after MI and MII) and you would be generally more competitive than most applicants. This goes for SUNY upstate, UConn, UVM, SUNY downstate, and albany.

RFU will allow you to transfer.

Stony brook just seemed to not want you as an international period. The e-mail had a very B!tchy tone to it.

ps any comments/opinions are greatly appreciated regarding my dilemma (see the page before this)

Actually I got the impression of 2 science professors and 1 individual of your choice, not necessarily non-science or even professor.

This is the list of schools I m applying to and their reference requirements:

vanderbilt - 2 science and one chosen by yourself

emory - same as vanderbilt

case western - same as above

dartmouth - 2 letters of reference

NYU - 2 science letters

SUNY upstate - 2 letters from different departments

mt. sinai - 1 letter from science and another from non-science

reference letters are such a b1tch.

Guest begaster

"How did you guys classify a class did in the summer? did u put it down as spring quarter??"

I'm not sure what school you're from, but I think most of the Ontario schools are in the semester system, not the quarter system. I could be wrong (I have a habit of this).

First semester (Fall)

Second semester (Winter)

Summer Session

Archived