Premed 101 Forums

Should I apply?

Hi,

I am currently accepted at a mid-tier US state university but want some feedback to my situation. I have some important personal matters that I would like to attend to this year (none of them are resume-building worthy) and so I am contemplating whether or not to reapply. If I were to take a year off for this though, I'd only see it as worth it if I were be able to attend a top notch US med school (top 20?). So if some people could give me some feedback it would be super appreciated :).

1) GPA/MCAT - At 3.8x (low end) and a 38T (14/12/12)

2) LOR - Two profs (one science and one non-science) which are strong, but another science prof that is weak (he didn't know me - aka I'm just a grade/number to him). Two reference letters from research supervisors, and one strong reference letter from a volunteer coordinator (the group leader when I volunteered overseas).

3) Research - Two years of research, no publications/posters

4) EC's

Volunteering in a hospital (nothing important)

shadowing doctors for 1 month (although overseas)

President of a club at my unversity

Volunteered overseas (created/conducted surveys, setup

reading programs and mentorship programs for underpriviliged children, and established a new NGO (funding acquired))

Started a business (but failed - dunno if I should include this),

TA'd at my unversity

Various tutoring

So my question is if this is enough, or am I basically deceiving myself :(

I am surprised You didn't get into a top tier with those stats. I can only hope for our sake that the school you got into is middle-top tier

I didnt' get into any top tier schools because I didn't apply to any (I didn't think I would get in), which is why now i'm contemplating.

Hi,

I am currently accepted at a mid-tier US state university but want some feedback to my situation. I have some important personal matters that I would like to attend to this year (none of them are resume-building worthy) and so I am contemplating whether or not to reapply. If I were to take a year off for this though, I'd only see it as worth it if I were be able to attend a top notch US med school (top 20?). So if some people could give me some feedback it would be super appreciated :).

1) GPA/MCAT - At 3.8x (low end) and a 38T (14/12/12)

2) LOR - Two profs (one science and one non-science) which are strong, but another science prof that is weak (he didn't know me - aka I'm just a grade/number to him). Two reference letters from research supervisors, and one strong reference letter from a volunteer coordinator (the group leader when I volunteered overseas).

3) Research - Two years of research, no publications/posters

4) EC's

Volunteering in a hospital (nothing important)

shadowing doctors for 1 month (although overseas)

President of a club at my unversity

Volunteered overseas (created/conducted surveys, setup

reading programs and mentorship programs for underpriviliged children, and established a new NGO (funding acquired))

Started a business (but failed - dunno if I should include this),

TA'd at my unversity

Various tutoring

So my question is if this is enough, or am I basically deceiving myself :(

Big, big risk.

There's lots of stories about students who only applied top 20 and ended up with no acceptance because they didn't consider 'safeties'. You've got an acceptance so go with it. Where you went for your MD is pretty much the last rung on the ladder when you're being considered for residency. Top tier = slight +, muddy-middle= whatever, bottom pack= slight -.

If you want, go to the US and while there, re-apply to Canadian MD schools while you're already working towards surety rather than banking on uncertainty.

Archived