Premed 101 Forums

Trig without a calculator

So I finally started to review physics and I got as far as vectors when I realized I have no idea how to calculate trig functions (ie sin/cosin) without a calculator. I know S=O/h, T=O/A, and C= A/H but what I don't know is how to calculate sin(O/H) without a calculator. Do they just leave the answer with the sin/cos in it?? Or is there some trick to give a rough estimate of the answers?

Thanks!

there are tricks... basically just know a few major angles and then your fine... any odd angle you'd estimate between the values you know....

So for Sin and Cos I Remember first ( S )in is ( S )imple and ( C ) os is ( C ) omplex when setting up this chart I'll show you.... all that means is since sin is simple so it starts at 0 and counts up while cos is complex so it starts at 4 and counts down

Angle-----Sin-----Cos

0----------0-------4

30--------1-------3

45--------2-------2

60--------3-------1

90--------4-------0

Once you've set that chart up you the take any of the value and take the square root of the number

Angle Sin Cos

0---------0--------------2

30--------1------------root 3 (1.7)

45-----root 2 (1.4)----root 2 (1.4)

60-----root 3 (1.7)------1

90---------2 -------------0

The only piece of memorization you really need for this system is that root 3 is approximately 1.7 and root 2 is ~ 1.4

The final step you divide all the values by 2

Angle Sin Cos

0---------0--------1

30-------1/2-----~0.85

45------~0.7----~0.7

60------~0.85-----1/2

90---------1---------0

And there you have it... your rarely see an angle outside of these but for instance if you got needed to calculate Sin50 you know it's slightly more than 0.7 so you take 0.75. Hope this helps

Archived