Premed 101 Forums

30+ MCAT but 9 in verbal

i was wondering if schools really frown on a 9 in verbal

i have 33Q

12/9/12

i have a 3.8+ GPA and decent ECs (not a lot of research but volunteering/employment) - can this balance it out?

schools i am interested in include most of the private schools like USC, tufts, boston u, mt sinai, georgetown, nyu, SUNY, dartmouth

thank you

no, probably not..

with 3.8GPA and 30+MCAT you match the numbers... (as you prob already know...)

There's no real advice to give, cuz if I'd know the secret to getting into med schools i probably would save it for me and wouldnt tell anyone...:D

but yeah, other than that, you should be fine... there's nothing more to tell you..(just do "good" on the interview as most people say).

i got into a few schools in the US with 30+ with a 9 in VR....3.8+ GPA even though i applied late

- suny upstate, penn state, rosalind franklin

also...if im not mistaken...i dont think suny is a private school. i believe it's a state school.

In the same boat for the MCAT (9, 11, 14, R and CGPA of 3.8+) and applying to relatively the same schools, good luck to you in the coming cycle. It is encouraging to hear that Madz25 got in with his 9 in VR. But there are so many other factors to consider as well...

your 33Q is not as good as a balanced 33Q, and it may hurt you against the uber top tiers (harvard, Columbia, etc) but it will most certainly make you competitive for a lot of other good schools. I wouldn't really sweat it.

What I would sweat about is whether or not your app is going in soon!

i got into a few schools in the US with 30+ with a 9 in VR....3.8+ GPA even though i applied late

- suny upstate, penn state, rosalind franklin

also...if im not mistaken...i dont think suny is a private school. i believe it's a state school.

lol that means there is still hope for me. I got a 9 in Verbal as well. Verbal is the bane of my existence. =\

You got into penn state!?! Thats a pretty reputable school if I am not mistaken.

thank you for your responses ^^

alastriss it should hopefully be done by next week but on a plus... while it is getting verified i will power through secondaries... LORs most are in interfolio! hoping to be complete at schools starting aroudn august 15 is that still too late?

alastriss it should hopefully be done by next week but on a plus... while it is getting verified i will power through secondaries... LORs most are in interfolio! hoping to be complete at schools starting aroudn august 15 is that still too late?

what should hopefully be done by next week? Verification? I just went with the big list of SDN members who gave a submitted date and the date they wre verified, I guess it greatly varies?

I don't think that is too bad. Late would be october/november.

In the same boat for the MCAT (9, 11, 14, R and CGPA of 3.8+) and applying to relatively the same schools, good luck to you in the coming cycle. It is encouraging to hear that Madz25 got in with his 9 in VR. But there are so many other factors to consider as well...

I'm a girl!!!

lol that means there is still hope for me. I got a 9 in Verbal as well. Verbal is the bane of my existence. =\

You got into penn state!?! Thats a pretty reputable school if I am not mistaken.

yeah penn state was great! i definitely wouldve gone there if i hadnt gotten into a canadian school. it's not as reputable as upenn though :)

WHAT?! ARE YOU SERIOUS??! no freaking way. All these years, and I thought you were a guy?! why didn't anyone correct me?

Then again, people think I am a girl, but I am a guy.

lol yes, i thought you were a girl up until law told me you're a guy.

Is that when he called me "manish". He has had to tell many people that I am a guy.

With that said, a good vr score is a definite +. Ad comms like VR because it is the section that parallels most with success on the USMLEs. WS was the least, hence why they don't really care about it down there.

Is that when he called me "manish". He has had to tell many people that I am a guy.

With that said, a good vr score is a definite +. Ad comms like VR because it is the section that parallels most with success on the USMLEs. WS was the least, hence why they don't really care about it down there.

is that right?

Archived