Premed 101 Forums

Degree GPA or Overall GPA

When the US schools consider "overall GPA", do they mean every single course the applicant took or the "overall GPA" for courses that are being applied to the degree? I am doing a double major and each major has a different cGPA. Then I have courses on my transcript that are "extra"--they're not counted towards any of my majors. Very worried about how this "overall GPA" works...

Pam

For the purposes of AMCAS, the overall GPA is every course you've taken in your undergrad, including spring/summer courses. Then there is the science GPA that will only take into account the science courses you have taken. I did a double degree that had separate GPAs but every single one of my courses was taken into account for my overall GPA by the AMCAS.

Well, to me it seems that sciGPA is pretty important (either way they would not bother calculating it) but the overall GPA carries more weight.

according to SDN, it is in fact your sGPA that carries more weight

When using the lizzyM score to figure out which schools you are competitive for, it is beter to calculate your gpa as follows (0.6 x sciGPA + 0.4 x cGPA) + MCAT - 1.

(the -1 is a fudgefactor because still consider you if you are under, but if it makes you feel better you might want to take it away to account for being an international at state schools.

according to SDN, it is in fact your sGPA that carries more weight

When using the lizzyM score to figure out which schools you are competitive for, it is beter to calculate your gpa as follows (0.6 x sciGPA + 0.4 x cGPA) + MCAT - 1.

(the -1 is a fudgefactor because still consider you if you are under, but if it makes you feel better you might want to take it away to account for being an international at state schools.

Really? Well, that just might be the best news I've heard all day! Lately you're just chuck full of useful info...:D

Really? Well, that just might be the best news I've heard all day! Lately you're just chuck full of useful info...:D

haha thanks! p101's own sdn spy hehe

Actually, that tidbit is from a guy who made this ridiculous pdf with series of formulae that were supposed to be accurate predictors of your chances to get into medical school based on all conceivable factors. It was pretty insane. The bit about the sGPA is widely accepted on SDN, and ad comm members have confirmed it...of course different adcomm members will weigh things differently.

That was my initial thought but then so many people told me otherwise that I just didn't know anymore. I venture onto SDN from time to time but I find that every time I go, I end up spending five hours on that forum reading just about everything, so I try to avoid it. I'm glad there is an SDN spy in our midst to relay the info ;)

I have seen that giant PDF chart - that thing is insane!!! :eek::D

Archived