Premed 101 Forums

Help on Verbal!

kiron

My exam date is only 2 weeks away and I keep getting 6s on verbal (TPR)! Not improving at all, any help? My strategy is to read the passage, summarize each paragraph, quick words, bottom line, find tone, then do the questions. Doesn't seem to be working, my accuracy is mediocre.

P.S. One the one passages I guess (say i guess letter B, out of 6 questions i keep getting zero!)

Read a book/newspaper for 15-30 minutes before to warm you up before you try the verbal tests. It will get you used to reading, and possible relax you before starting the tests. This has definitely to help me. Also, read read read anything you can during your spare time.

My exam date is only 2 weeks away and I keep getting 6s on verbal (TPR)! Not improving at all, any help? My strategy is to read the passage, summarize each paragraph, quick words, bottom line, find tone, then do the questions. Doesn't seem to be working, my accuracy is mediocre.

P.S. One the one passages I guess (say i guess letter B, out of 6 questions i keep getting zero!)

This seems like a terrible waste, definitely work on your efficiency. I wouldn't waste time summarizing each paragraph (just me though).

Don't get discouraged by TPR results, try EK or AAMC, see if you get some better scores. Verbal is still disappointing for me, but I find that you HAVE to read actively. Don't read for the sake of learning what the author has to say. Don't accept what the author says for gospel, have a mind of your own. Even for the tough convoluted passages, don't think, "I don't understand a word so far, my score is toast." Keep focused and continue reading, because often the questions for tough reads are simple.

I personally don't think there is enough time to summarize each passage. I think it's best to mentally note where key things are and to try your best to understand things while you are reading. Be very alert while you are reading, and constantly think about what the author is saying (and how they might decide to test you on it).

if your not going to summerize each paragraph, and I disagree I think there is time to do that.

at least try to write down the purpose i.e. is the author giving an opinion, outlining two sides of an argument, or stating facts etc.

the reason you would summerize is so when you get the detail type questions it's easy to know where to go back and look, that being said I find the most diffuclt and predominate questions are the ones that deal with applications and especially the application of the authors opinion, if you have already started the purpose in your own words (hard at first) you be thinking on a much deeper level and these types of questions will come easier.

yep i agree...i liked kaplan's strategy of mapping...making notes keeps me interested in the passage cuz im looking for the key stuff to write down...if i was just reading it and relying on memorization, i would probably fall asleep or not fully understand the passage...but i guess you gotta do what works for you...to each his own :)

Archived