Premed 101 Forums

Examkrackers Vs Full Length

AndyDude

I am in a little dilemma. I have EK 1001 for all Science sections that I like to complete. But given the time restriction I can either do these or go over actual AAMC tests (or do 2-3 AAMCs+EK). I am finding the EK passages to be really helpful (i.e. stuff I thought I knew, I am forced to revise and get my ideas clear). But for practice sake I think doing AAMC would be more beneficial.

What would you have in my shoes do? Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks

I'm writing August 9th, and am thinking the same thing. I have 12 Full length kaplan tests, 2 EK full lengths, and all the CBT AAMC's. I did a few Kaplan, and found that they were ok...but I prefer doing the AAMC's. But the problem is that I have alredy done all these AAMC tests when I wrote the MCAT a year ago (i don't really remember what was on the tests, so it's not like i'm recalling answers). Having written the MCAT already, I really believe that the AAMC tests are the best for practice. But varying it up with other practice tests may be a good idea as well.

I also bought the 1001 practice books. The best advice I have, if you have the time, is write a practice test through kaplan, aamc, etc once a week. Then go through the practice questions (1001 books), while reviewing the lectures on the other days. The 1001 books are an awesome review. However I think it is really important to do a few actual practice mcats. These practice tests not only test your knowledge of the information but test under time contraints and represent the topics in a random order.

Hope this helps.

I've tried doing the 1001 books and the Kaplan practice test, and I found them both to be quite different from the AAMC CBT's that I have tried. The 1001 series (expecially Bio) seems to be overly complicated compared to the AAMC tests, while the Kaplan VR wasn't even worth my time. I scored a 12 on the Kaplan VR, and then did a AAMC and got a 6.

Archived