Premed 101 Forums

Cell Biology or Genetics more relevant for the MCAT?

jozn

Hi.

I'm going to take either a course in cell biology or a course in genetics in my second year as a chemistry major. I was wondering if one of the courses would be more relevant than the other for the MCAT. Currently, I'm registered in Cell Bio simply because it fits into my schedule better than Genetics does.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You will need a decent knowledge of cell biology but there has been an upward trend in the amount of genetics on the MCAT. I'd advise Cell Bio though because you need to know those basics while a genetics class goes into too much detail.

As i was saying, there is an increase in the amount of genetics on the MCAT, so for that, just understand and destroy the basics of genetics (which was taught in high school)

fom the aamc practice tests i think the emphasis from genetic to cell bio changes from one test to another. having said that, most people would probably agree that cell bio is much easier to retain and study than genetics. furthermore, i found that passages involving genetics tend to be more difficult than passages involving cell bio.

Hi.

I'm going to take either a course in cell biology or a course in genetics in my second year as a chemistry major. I was wondering if one of the courses would be more relevant than the other for the MCAT. Currently, I'm registered in Cell Bio simply because it fits into my schedule better than Genetics does.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What University are you from? The course content at different school varies. At Mac, the Genetics course is far more useful for the MCAT than Cell Bio.

Archived