Premed 101 Forums

ANU Versus University of Queensland

So I've been accepted into both ANU and the University of Queensland. I've looked at some university rankings and I see that ANU is pretty much top 20 in the world while UniQ is top 50. This seems to be a general University ranking as opposed to a Medical School rating. However, it seems that ANU has a higher cost of living, whil UniQ is cheaper. Both have around the same tuition, although UniQ might be a little higher.

I'm pretty torn between which school I should choose. Another option is to wait and apply to US schools, but I haven't really looked into that all that much.

How do the two schools compare? Do both have high match ratios for coming back to Canada, or the States? Overall, what do people recommend?

I'd really appreciate people's opinions on this.

Cheers.

Based on talking to people and scouring these boards, here's what I gather:

Australian schools are a bit like Canadian schools in the sense that the quality of medical education is pretty standard no matter where you go. So if you're planning to come back, it will not make any difference what school you go to. I suspect most residency position recruiters in the states will not really have a preference for either school and focus more on the USMLE.

As far as matching in Canada, for competitive specialties, there is very litttle to no chance for IMG's. However, for less competitive specialties like family medicine, IMG's have a decent chance of matching to their preference.

For the States, the outlook is much more positive if you do well on the USMLE. There is a good chance of matching to your preferred specialty if you do well. The only complication is obtaining a Visa to work there. Perhaps someone can elaborate on this.

Please feel free to add or correct me.

Also, can you please indicate your GPA/MCAT stats. I'm seriously considering both these schools if can't get in this year to Canadian schools.

Thanks.

I forget to add, look at RogerRoger's posts. They are very detailed and quite helpful...

Archived