Premed 101 Forums

Applying to ontario schools lowers your self esteem.

Guest begaster

Yup. It's completely destroyed my once burgeoning self-esteem.

I just hope to God I get some interviews come Sept/Oct and can get an acceptance before the next round of Canadian interviews. Will make me much more relaxed.

Yup. It's completely destroyed my once burgeoning self-esteem.

I just hope to God I get some interviews come Sept/Oct and can get an acceptance before the next round of Canadian interviews. Will make me much more relaxed.

that's exactly what I was hoping.

It would make the school year a lot less stressful.

That's what I imagine about all the time.

The interviewers will ask me what I'll do if I don't get in this year,

and I'll be like, I'll just head over to the states and attend the blahblah school,

and then I'll demand some money.

The "if you don't get in this year" question usually means "if you dont get in ANYWHERE this year..." ....

so while this answer may sound good in your head, it will not answer the question and on top of that will sound so arrogant the interviewer may be thinking "well ok if you're so cocky, then why dont you just go to the states..."

so I would suggest using the typical "improve my application and re-apply" but still knowing in your head that you have a fall back plan and the loser interviewing you won't be the one to decide whether or not you become a doctor.

The "if you don't get in this year" question usually means "if you dont get in ANYWHERE this year..." ....

so while this answer may sound good in your head, it will not answer the question and on top of that will sound so arrogant the interviewer may be thinking "well ok if you're so cocky, then why dont you just go to the states..."

so I would suggest using the typical "improve my application and re-apply" but still knowing in your head that you have a fall back plan and the loser interviewing you won't be the one to decide whether or not you become a doctor.

I think he was joking. ;)

If they wanted to know more than what you are doing this year, they should be more clear in their line of questioning.

I would humbly say I hold an acceptance in the US and I will attend that school if I am not accepted, but emphasize how schools in canada are still my top priority and that I am willing to pay ridiculous sums of money and take on large debts for a chance at this career.

You wouldn't come across as a guy who doesn't care to get in, if that were the case, you wouldn't even be in the interview to come across the question in the first place.

Haha, if I get into a dece US school, I'd have to watch myself before I get a "f*$^ you" attitude at canadian interviews and then not get in at all!

No one else likes ontario schools? I like the fact I know where I might be interviewing based on Cutoffs. I'd say US schools are a lot more random, but I see what you mean by having stats above the average.

While you have to present it properly (and he was undoubtedly joking about the presentation), there is absolutely nothing arrogant or cocky about telling them that you have been accepted to some excellent US schools and will be attending there if not in Canada. They operate on the "what if" system of assuming that you don't know anything until May 15th. There's no point to lie about reapplying.

• 3 weeks later...

There's just so much less work to do for the Canadian application. I mean, a simple list of activities and a couple essays for Mac and Toronto? Please, I can now do that in my sleep ;)

Though, seriously, when comparing the Canadian and American application you kinda get the feel that the Americans really try to figure out what you are about while Canada doesn't seem to care - if they did, they would allow us more than 150chars in space to describe our activities and limit the list to 20 entries. Although, both are just as money hungry.

Btw, the only non-ontario school that I am surely applying to is McGill.

Rest of Canada = pretty much every other Canadian school...except Dal 'cause they only admit like 6 out of province...and McGill..because I don't know why not...

I know this is what I want to do so if I don't get in anywhere..at least I'll know I exhausted every possible option before I give up:o I doubt I really have a better chance at as an OOP though compared to my IP chances in Ontario...stupid being from Ontario!!:P

Archived