Premed 101 Forums

wake forest "financial resources document"

VTeight7

on my wake forest secondary.. (and not on any of my others so far)

Due to your citizenship/visa status, you will not be eligible for any financial aid from United States or State of Michigan sources should you be offered an admission to Wayne State University School of Medicine.

Canadian citizens will be considered non-residents for both admissions and tuition purposes. The Good Neighbor policy at WSU does not apply to medical school. Current tuition (2008) for non-residents is $58,329 per year. This is subject to change by the Board of Governors without notice. You will also be responsible for obtaining any necessary immigration paperwork.

It will be necessary for international applicants to submit a statement of financial support. This statement is a requirement of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and is needed to substantiate that you are able to financially support yourself for one year. The total amount of expenses to attend Wayne State University School of Medicine for one year is: $81,780 (USD) which includes Tuition and Fees, Living Expenses, Transportation, Books, and Miscellaneous Expenses.

This financial statement must be issued by a bank or other financial institution and must be sent directly to the School of Medicine Office of Admissions from that institution. If this documentation is not received, the INS will not issue a student visa to you. As an international student, you are required to have a student visa in order to attend school in the United States. This documentation needs to be in the Office of Admissions at the School of Medicine no later than April 30, 2009.

So if I can't get financial aid from the US, is it easy to get a loan from my bank? Would I have to prove anything, because I don't know how I'm gonna manage $81780 for one year.

Keep in mind that I have 4 weeks to get this financial statement and hand in my secondary.

This is for Wayne State and not Wake Forest right?

Just sign the document that they send all Canadians, you don't have to deal with any financial matters until you are offered an acceptance. At that point, you will need a statement from your bank showing 80k in assets. I'm not sure how we will have to go about it, because as far as I know you need an acceptance to get a med school loan and the school's won't offer you an acceptance until they receive the statement. Hopefully a waynestate/msu student can clear this up.

Did you type that out? It says the financial statement isn't due until April 30th. And really, you have time afterward to do this because you don't need your I-20 until July.

tl;dr: You will get your acceptance before you need to worry about the financial statement. Just sign the thing that says you promise to get one when the time comes.

Archived