Premed 101 Forums

Sept 13

HBP

one must say - that was definitely interesting!

PS: was arite - except for that STUPID electromagnetism question that for no reason threw me off!

VR: prolly one of the hard ones ever - the passages were very long and the questions were very tricky. If I have to re-take the MCAT's, it will be because of this!

WS: pretty happy about that - I am sure almost everyone has a lot to say in their essays when it comes to practical topics like ones today!

BS: extremely easy and straight forward - to a point where I thought AAMC is trying to make up for VR.

I agree... bio was very easy. I found physics was hard since I had to guess on at least 6 questions. VR was difficult. I wasn't very sure of any of the answers and didn't have time to read one passage. Finally WS was easy. I can't wait 'till the scores come out. I'm pretty worried because of phys since I usually finish with time to spare. :confused:

one must say - that was definitely interesting!

PS: was arite - except for that STUPID electromagnetism question that for no reason threw me off!

VR: prolly one of the hard ones ever - the passages were very long and the questions were very tricky. If I have to re-take the MCAT's, it will be because of this!

WS: pretty happy about that - I am sure almost everyone has a lot to say in their essays when it comes to practical topics like ones today!

BS: extremely easy and straight forward - to a point where I thought AAMC is trying to make up for VR.

First off thanks everyone for contributing to this thread, please allow me to add some input as well.

PS - I totally agree with hammer2hammer, the elctromagnetism one threw me off a bit with a few questions. Overall this section okay for me.

BS- same as usual.

WS - last time i took the MCAT i had an R for this section, today i don't think I did that well but manage to pass.

VR - like everyone else. This section left me with stomach aches all day during the test. I manage to get through 6.5/7.0 passages, I got to the last passage with about 6 or 7 mins and in a crazy chaotic rush, as life on VR is usually unfair the dam passage itself was on "Chaos and theories about it" - and I was thinking Whats up with this.......Also every answer I put down I was very very unsure (last time my VR was an "8") I pray that it didn't get worst off this time. - I hate this section, might have to write again ALL because of one SECTION :mad: .

Al the best to everyone else. Hopefully some miracles will happen for me. :confused:

I thought it was okay...I re-wrote from August 26th and definitely found today's MCAT a lot better!

PS- was okay, except for that same electromagnetism passage

VR- thought it was also okay, passages on the longer side

WS- not bad but i didn't particularly like the prompts

BS - pretty standard

Overall I thought it was pretty good!

my second time writing

PS- part of it felt like it went perfect, but then there was a reduction titration passage that threw me off, I ran out of time when checkin over answers

VR- a little tricky, but i think i reasoned my way through my answers instead of just guessing

WS- fine, no problemo

BS- first half was a little time consuming, second half was a breeze, i almost wondered if i was getting tricked into easy answers

PS - wasn't that hard. but felt that there were some tricky questions that will probably seperate the double digit scores from the single digit scores.

VR- the passages were not as difficult to read. It's just that the questions were not the standard types that you usually see. They were nearly all VERY inference and application-based IMO. I'm not confident on how I did in this section.

WS- was easiar than expected

BS- was very cell molecular-based just as expected. And the two orgo passages were pretty easy. Again, easiar than expected.

I personally found VR easier than when the last time i wrote (june 13th) although you never really know how well you did. i have taken practice tests that i thought i aced only to wind up with an 8.

I guess i am one of the few here who found bio moderately difficult. I was way behind time wise through the first half of the section, but luckily the second half was easier and I got back on track.

Physical science - same as every one else above

WR- found the second prompt more difficult than the first (had about 2 minutes of brain freeze which freaked me out) but managed ok.

The passage about the rare dominant-inherited disease:

A healthy man and woman give birth to an unhealthy child. What are the possible genotypes of the parents?

There was no option containing: the sex cells were Aa, but the somatic cells were aa (as far as I could tell). So I ended up putting all cells were aa, since the rest contained some form of one parent was Aa (thus meaning they would have the disease--impossible since it said they're healthy). Anyone know what I missed?

The passage about the rare dominant-inherited disease:

A healthy man and woman give birth to an unhealthy child. What are the possible genotypes of the parents?

There was no option containing: the sex cells were Aa, but the somatic cells were aa (as far as I could tell). So I ended up putting all cells were aa, since the rest contained some form of one parent was Aa (thus meaning they would have the disease--impossible since it said they're healthy). Anyone know what I missed?

Are you mental? :P

I think you're forgetting some information.

The only possible thing I can think of is if the dominant allele is on an X-chromosome. Females inactivate one x-chromosome (barr body), and so if it was sex-linked... it would be possible that the mother has it, the father does not... which would mean father is XaY, mother is X(A)Xa.

Are you mental? :P

I think you're forgetting some information.

The only possible thing I can think of is if the dominant allele is on an X-chromosome. Females inactivate one x-chromosome (barr body), and so if it was sex-linked... it would be possible that the mother has it, the father does not... which would mean father is XaY, mother is X(A)Xa.

It's possible I misread the Q, or misread the options. But I was certain there was not an option about the situation you described, since I was specifically looking for it.

It's possible I misread the Q, or misread the options. But I was certain there was not an option about the situation you described, since I was specifically looking for it.

Yeah, if it is autosomal-dominant... then one parent must have it in order for the disorder to pass, unless it's the situation I described. Unlikes autosomal recessive, autosomal dominant can't be "masked".... in classical genetics, at least.

I thought it was okay...I re-wrote from August 26th and definitely found today's MCAT a lot better!

PS- was okay, except for that same electromagnetism passage

VR- thought it was also okay, passages on the longer side

WS- not bad but i didn't particularly like the prompts

BS - pretty standard

Overall I thought it was pretty good!

My thoughts are exactly like yours! I wrote August 26th as well, I found this test much more reasonable.

Aug 26th was waaaaaaay harder than an AAMC practice test. Sept 13th was about on par with an AAMC practice test for me. Maybe a little harder because of the long verbal, but still not too bad. I'm happy and hoping the marks match my impressions!

Now that I've had some time to reflect...I agree with most of the previous posters. I found the PS to be relatively easy and in hindsight, I barely remember what most of the passages/questions were about but I also don't remember having to do too many calculations. Did I miss something?

I found verbal to be brutal. I had been getting 12's consistently in all of my practice tests but think I'll be luck to get a 9/10 this time around. Very long passages and the questions were often unclear to me.

The writing prompts were pretty straightforward but I kind of froze on this section and don't think that my answers were as well thought out and articulate as I would have liked.

Bio was pretty straightforward - lots on immunology, postsynaptic neurons and gastric enzymes - very little genetics (but I didn't have the passage that HPB and Law are talking about with the healthy parents/unhealthy child??). I've never taken organic chem but I think I was able to make some good guesses on those 2 passages so we'll see.

Not sure what to anticipate when the scores are released.

Good luck to everyone who wrote...

Archived