10 BS

10 PS

6 VR

26S

8 BS

10 PS

9 VR

27S

I am pleased with my VR score, but obviously not with my BS score. I am not going to retake because I don't see my score changing much. With this score, should I even bother applying anywhere? Should I just go straight to the Caribbean?

To be honest, it's going to be very hard to get an acceptance from a US allopathic (MD) school with that MCAT score. Your GPA is superb, but US schools tend to place a very high emphasis on the MCAT.

It used to be that most of the applicants that applied to the US had low stats (3.5 GPA and unbalanced 30 MCAT) that could never cut it in Canada, but times have really changed. The demand amongst students for a medical education obviously keeps going up in Canada while the number of available seats usually only increase by a token amount. So, there is now very little (if at all) seperation in terms of GPA and MCAT between those that do get accepted in Canada and those that instead end up with a US (MD) acceptance. And you will definitely be competing with other Canadians (and even other international students) for an unsaid quota of a couple of seats at each US school.

My advice: rewrite that pesky MCAT.

your best bet is applying to canadian friendly schools that look at a composite mcat score - i.e. they take the BEST score you've ever gotten in each section (in your case it would be a 10/10/9 = 29S). have a well-written essay, great reference letters, and submit your amcas application on the earliest possible date.

• 7 months later...

I have just finished my final semester of undergrad. My original plan was to re-write the MCAT (a 3rd time) on June 18th; however, I think I've exhausted my studious capabilities for the next little while-- I really don't feel up for giving up another summer studying for the MCAT. From what we've learned about the applicant's this cycle, do I have any realistic shot?

GPA 3.95

MCAT:

July/07

10 BS

10 PS

6 VR

26S

July/08

8 BS

10 PS

9 VR

27S

EC: lots of shadowing/clinical experience, some non-tradition artistic endeavors, etc.

I have just finished my final semester of undergrad. My original plan was to re-write the MCAT (a 3rd time) on June 18th; however, I think I've exhausted my studious capabilities for the next little while-- I really don't feel up for giving up another summer studying for the MCAT. From what we've learned about the applicant's this cycle, do I have any realistic shot?

GPA 3.95

MCAT:

July/07

10 BS

10 PS

6 VR

26S

July/08

8 BS

10 PS

9 VR

27S

EC: lots of shadowing/clinical experience, some non-tradition artistic endeavors, etc.

Realistic shot? No. An outside shot? Maybe. There is always a chance, albeit very low.

Since you have a great GPA, I think your chances are better at Canadian schools that don't care about the MCAT. You could even get an interview at U of T with your GPA/MCAT provided the rest of your app is great.

He will be easily flagged with those MCAT scores, not only will he need a great application, but he must have something that's extraordinary like participated in the olymplics or with a PhD that published tons of papers, otherwise UofT won't even bother to look at him. Heck even many people with 4.0/35+ MCATs don't even get UofT interview as shown from many rejection threads posted here.

Hmmm. I know that using examples of only one applicant are lame, but forgive me -- I have a friend who interviewed at U of T with a 27 MCAT and a lower GPA than joshto's. No Olympics, no grad degree, just a great essay, extra-currics, work experience, and references. In a process like U of T (and the US) where individuals are reading your WHOLE application, you're always going to get people with incredible stats who don't get interviewed, and people with less-than-stellar stats who do get interviewed. I just think that the emphasis on GPA at U of T versus MCAT in the US would make Toronto a better bet for an interview. Pretty tough either way though (even with higher stats, as we all know). Bah.

Hmmm. I know that using examples of only one applicant are lame, but forgive me -- I have a friend who interviewed at U of T with a 27 MCAT and a lower GPA than joshto's. No Olympics, no grad degree, just a great essay, extra-currics, work experience, and references. In a process like U of T (and the US) where individuals are reading your WHOLE application, you're always going to get people with incredible stats who don't get interviewed, and people with less-than-stellar stats who do get interviewed. I just think that the emphasis on GPA at U of T versus MCAT in the US would make Toronto a better bet for an interview. Pretty tough either way though (even with higher stats, as we all know). Bah.

Is that 27 MCAT a 9 9 9? If it is, then perhaps your friend barely got through without been flagged lol.

yeah, but many aspects of an application can raise eyebrows (a bad reference letter, a weak essay, a bad term on your transcript, etc.)...

U of T accepts students with MCAT scores < 9 every year. see link for 2008 entry (scroll down to bottom of page):

http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/programs/md/admissions/0910/stats.htm

all I'm saying is that it's possible, which is the best you can say of any applicant, no matter what their stats are.

Guest copacetic

your gpa and everything else is good, but your mcat is hurting you. in canada your mcat would kill your chances. you MIGHT have a shot at american schools because of your high GPA. i would give it a shot (it never hurts to try). if you dont get in this year, just redo the MCAT. aim for 30+ (10/10/10) and Q+ on writing sample and you're in for sure.

your gpa and everything else is good, but your mcat is hurting you. in canada your mcat would kill your chances. you MIGHT have a shot at american schools because of your high GPA. i would give it a shot (it never hurts to try). if you dont get in this year, just redo the MCAT. aim for 30+ (10/10/10) and Q+ on writing sample and you're in for sure.

am I crazy to think it's the opposite? I thought GPA was way more important in Canada, and the MCAT more important in the US.

if only having a 30Q and a 3.9 GPA meant "in for sure", copacetic!!!

The only problem is that US schools keep track of people who applied previously to the school and was unsuccessful. So you really need to convince them that you have made yourself a much better applicant within the year, that's not easy.

Guest copacetic
am I crazy to think it's the opposite? I thought GPA was way more important in Canada, and the MCAT more important in the US.

if only having a 30Q and a 3.9 GPA meant "in for sure", copacetic!!!

'

well that also assumes you have a good essay, and interview. those things matter. oh and apply broadly. but if you are rejected and you have those stats, then you know it wasn't academic ability that kept you out. personally i had a 3.5ish and 33S :( , but my essay/interview/ and extracurricular were outstanding.:cool: so the moral is everything matters, weakness in one area can be compensated for strengths in another.

Guest copacetic
The only problem is that US schools keep track of people who applied previously to the school and was unsuccessful. So you really need to convince them that you have made yourself a much better applicant within the year, that's not easy.

good point, in that case a better gamble might be to hold off on apply, develop your life story (i.e. volunteer/work/live a little etc) redo the MCAT then apply. patience is sometimes a virtue in this game. and besides, meds is a lifelong career, no one said that you HAVE to get in right after, undergrad. people have moved from whole different careers and pursued meds. i know several.

You need to improve, but I think you might have built it up too much here silvermen85. I had a friend who within 1 year went from 3 interviews last cycle to 8 this cycle. She used the same LoR, but got more research experience and clinical experiences. Your second application ultimately depends on how weak your weaknesses were and how much you have improved upon them.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, here are my stats:

July/07

10 BS

10 PS

6 VR

26S

June/08

8 BS

10 PS

9 VR

27S

Composite: 10 BS + 10 PS + 9 VR = 29S

GPA 3.95

I plan to apply to the schools listed below. I know I am a long shot no matter where I apply, but which schools below would you absolutely say are a waste of money and time:

AECOM, Albany, Boston, Emory, Rosalind Franklin, Georgetown, GW, Jefferson, Maryland, MCW, Michigan State, EVMS, NYMC, SLU, SUNY Upstate, Tufts, Tulane, VCU, Vanderbilt, Wayne State, Penn state, Wake Forest

Thanks!

Archived