Premed 101 Forums

Primaries vs Secondaries

joshto

It looks like I'm going stateside for med school (at least trying to). I don't understand what exactly primaries and secondaries mean. I think primary refers to the initial application you fill out on AMCAS, and that secondaries are specific requests from individual schools once they have received your primaries. Is that correct?

What are the components of primaries and secondaries? I ask because I am applying next cycle but I want to understand what is required in each of the primary and secondary application so that I can start asking for LORs and whatever else takes preparation. Any suggestions/help?

yes, you are correct about what a primary applications (amcas) and what secondaries are (from each individual school).

Primary (AMCAS): kinda like omsas. fill in all your biographical/geographical info, coursework, ECs, awards etc. select which schools you want to apply to. 1 essay which basically answers the question "why do you want to be a doctor" in 5300 characters or so (i think). pay application fees.

Secondaries: depends on the school. they all ask for more $$$. most have additional essays asking questions such as "why do you want to attend our school." some ask you to provide the names/course codes of specific courses that fulfill their prerequisite requirements. did i mention more fees?!

• 2 weeks later...

yes you can still submit the primary application. it will be reviewed and distributed to the schools you select. however, the school will not review your application (for possible interview) until the mcat scores are received. you can get your secondaries completed and reference letters in etc. in the mean time.

• 4 months later...
yes, you are correct about what a primary applications (amcas) and what secondaries are (from each individual school).

Primary (AMCAS): kinda like omsas. fill in all your biographical/geographical info, coursework, ECs, awards etc. select which schools you want to apply to. 1 essay which basically answers the question "why do you want to be a doctor" in 5300 characters or so (i think). pay application fees.

Secondaries: depends on the school. they all ask for more $$$. most have additional essays asking questions such as "why do you want to attend our school." some ask you to provide the names/course codes of specific courses that fulfill their prerequisite requirements. did i mention more fees?!

I know this thread is really old but I just want to be 100% sure that prereqs don't need to be completed by application time, and that you can take them anytime before entering med school?

I know this thread is really old but I just want to be 100% sure that prereqs don't need to be completed by application time, and that you can take them anytime before entering med school?

Yeah

you can complete prereqs the year you apply (as long as they're done by the time you matriculate you're ok!)

Archived