Premed 101 Forums

finishing prereqs after app

Hackintosh

I'm going to be applying to some US schools this year, and I'm short of an english and inorganic chem lab course. I was wondering if its possible to finish and submit the primary application while or before I start/finish these courses?

absolutely you can submit the primary first, as long as you finish the required courses by the time you enroll in medical school the following year. You just write "IP" on amcas and on the secondaries if they ask for the mark you got.

• 6 months later...

so is it possible for me to finish my prerequisites in the summer before I (hopefully) start medical school (so in the summer of 2010 if my acceptance is for 2010 september)? I ask because I don't want to have to spend this entire summer doing english and chem courses, I would much rather split it up between two summers.

absolutely you can submit the primary first, as long as you finish the required courses by the time you enroll in medical school the following year. You just write "IP" on amcas and on the secondaries if they ask for the mark you got.

Does this mean that we should enter the required courses into our primary AMCAS app even though we might not take them in the next semester? Or do we only mention them if they specifically ask in secondaries?

AMCAS doesn't ask for required courses. You just list all the classes you've taken and plan to take without designating whether they're required (because different schools have different requirements).

Some secondaries will ask for your required courses in which case you'd have to indicate when you plan to take the unfinished ones.

• 2 months later...
so is it possible for me to finish my prerequisites in the summer before I (hopefully) start medical school (so in the summer of 2010 if my acceptance is for 2010 september)? I ask because I don't want to have to spend this entire summer doing english and chem courses, I would much rather split it up between two summers.

bump,

would really appreciate an answer to this question.

Also, if I'm taking summer school right now, do i need to submit the transcript for it with the application or can I do that afterwards?

bump,

would really appreciate an answer to this question.

Also, if I'm taking summer school right now, do i need to submit the transcript for it with the application or can I do that afterwards?

no transcript necessary for currrent/future courses. Transcript is needed only if you have a mark to show.

Archived