Premed 101 Forums

University of Pennsylvania Chances?

To those who have more knowledge than me about applying to American schools, I need some advice. I don't qualify for most US schools because of UofT's mangled chemistry course layout and I'm not gonna jeopardize my GPA in my final year with another year of chems, so I basically only applying to UPenn out of all American schools. Anyways, these are my stats and I wonder if I have a shot at UPenn as an international student?

AMCAS cGPA: 3.67 with a strong trend (3.26, 3.57, 3.68, 3.97)

MCAT: 11 11 15 R

Very solid, but not awesome ECs

Thanks everyone

If you have one year of inorganic chemistry (yeah, even if it's chm220 - which has no lab component), I'm sure that you're eligible to apply to most US schools.

Many schools seem to be aware of this UofT chemistry dilemma and would waiver it.

Anyway, it just doesn't seem like such a hot idea to me.

I mean, you'd spent a lot of time and energy to get through the application process only to apply to one school that happens to be one of the most competitive schools to get into.

Your international status won't hurt you. You're institution, UofT, will help you. However the 3.67 won't help you. Worth a shot, but it depends on your ECs and LORs now.

I know a lot of schools say that they don't care where you are from but If you look at their admissions statistics it does make a difference.

Are you sure about this? I read on SDN that one of the interview questions for a medical school was how many schools did you apply to, so I was just curious as to why they would ask that info if they already have info in from of them?

Maybe to see if you'd lie? I could be wrong about this, as my interviews were last year.

They can see which schools you have applied to. Take that into consideration before you start making some BS statement about why you want to go to a particular school.

I don't think that's true? I've always been under the assumption that they can only see where you have been accepted and only after a certain date.

I could be wrong though.

They can see which schools you have applied to. Take that into consideration before you start making some BS statement about why you want to go to a particular school.

They cannot. They only see a list of schools which have *accepted* you after May 15th. Before that, they are completely in the dark as to where else you applied (unless you apply to a school through EDP).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=541412

Archived