Premed 101 Forums

Research Weighting

tjey

Hi, I'm new to this forum and was wondering how some of the top-tier american schools weigh research experience.

I have pretty good stats (3.95 GPA, 41T Mcat) and have some extensive extracurricular involvement..but don't have any publications, and will likely still not have any by application time next summer.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and was wondering how some of the top-tier american schools weigh research experience.

I have pretty good stats (3.95 GPA, 41T Mcat) and have some extensive extracurricular involvement..but don't have any publications, and will likely still not have any by application time next summer.

Yea those are ridiculous stats. Research experience I think is not as important as clinical or volunteer work.

Well yes, at somewhere like Harvard, especially if you're applying HST, research experience is almost an unwritten requirement. The only other schools that I've heard of like that are Pritzker and Stanford. Of course, the percentage of successful applicants that have research experience is never 100% according to the MSAR. I'm pretty sure the 10-15% who don't have research had stats around yours to make up for it. You could definitely get into a few top 20s.

Archived