Premed 101 Forums

Very important question regarding medical school!

angel-60

ok I have a Question, I have a 3.7 GPA 31P MCAt but 7 in verbal(English is my second language), I am waiting for my second MCAt result, I have already applied for State and I passed some of primary screen like wayne , VCU BUT I saw one of my freind yesterday she always getting C and D in undergard with no MCAT and GPA C she got into ,caribbean medical school so she was telling me yesterday that after 4 years she will be same as me if I get into american med school, she can easily become resident in US, is it true?, I am killing myself to get into somewhere in state , studying hard , Writing MCAt for 4th times to get atleast a 9 in verbal and someone with no MCAt with very low GPA will become a doctor????????????:mad: :mad:

ok I have a Question, I have a 3.7 GPA 31P MCAt but 7 in verbal(English is my second language), I am waiting for my second MCAt result, I have already applied for State and I passed some of primary screen like wayne , VCU BUT I saw one of my freind yesterday she always getting C and D in undergard with no MCAT and GPA C she got into ,caribbean medical school so she was telling me yesterday that after 4 years she will be same as me if I get into american med school, she can easily become resident in US, is it true?, I am killing myself to get into somewhere in state , studying hard , Writing MCAt for 4th times to get atleast a 9 in verbal and someone with no MCAt with very low GPA will become a doctor????????????:mad: :mad:

They will potentially become a doctor, sure. But you will receive a better education in the United States. However going from the Carribean to the United States is far from guaranteed, especially if you are Canadian! The Carrib is more geared towards educating americans so that they can return to the US to practice medicine. It's a little different for a Canadian considering that when residency comes, not only are you a non-citizen but you graduated from a Carrib school. It's like a double whammy.

Don't forget dude, the easiest route isn't usually the best route.

The match rates for SGU and a few of the bigger Caribb schools are fairly respectable (as long as you're interested in primary care). The biggest existing issue with Caribbean schools, and I feel your friend will find this out rapidly, is that they do the screen out process after you've already enrolled and spent $50,000. If you are getting Cs and Ds, you will almost undoubtedly fail to make it through medical school. A great number of people who go to the Caribbean end up flunking out rapidly - they were in no way, shape, or form prepared for the rigors of medicine.

The match rates for SGU and a few of the bigger Caribb schools are fairly respectable (as long as you're interested in primary care). The biggest existing issue with Caribbean schools, and I feel your friend will find this out rapidly, is that they do the screen out process after you've already enrolled and spent $50,000. If you are getting Cs and Ds, you will almost undoubtedly fail to make it through medical school. A great number of people who go to the Caribbean end up flunking out rapidly - they were in no way, shape, or form prepared for the rigors of medicine.

Pay attention to this. The admissions process is there for a reason. Even though I was a 3.86, 34 MCAT, sometimes I still feel that I barely got into med shcool (Wayne State). Med school is no walk in the park, and if you're feeling anxious about applying, it won't get any better after you get in. You can go from doing fairly well or even being near the top of your class to being in the bottom half of your medical school class. It sucks.

Getting into med school shouldn't be a goal, it's only the beginning of a (very) long journey. Don't forget that life exists outside of medicine. You need to live a life that makes you happy, and I don't think that anyone's emotional security should depend on a couple of letters that precede or follow your name. I just feel like med school isn't the be all and end all that some people think it is. You can become so fixated on getting into med school that you start to become delusional. If you're writing the MCAT more than 4 times I think you should take a break for a while to reassess what is going on before going back at it. Other wise I think you'll be a bit disappointed when you do get in.

I'm not sure if any of that rant was relevant to the thread, but I felt like I needed to put that out there.

Also OP, how did you get higher on the WS than I did???? :mad:

I know wut you are trying to say, I was med student for two years in my country, It is really hard for us to get accepted after only 6 years living in Canada, but I feel going to med school is my life and I know it is wrong but it is the only reason I came here, I try to change my attitude but it is really hard to change, about WS:D I think I am older than you , I am 29 my writing may be a little bit sounds mature, lollllllllll Thanks:o

Archived