Premed 101 Forums

Some Issues

Some issues that I have found with this forum. If someone more knowledgable can help me that would be appreciated.

1) Why is it that some peopel are freaked out if they have under 10 in any sections. I was under the impression that American medical schools looked at your raw score. For my Medical School Admission Requirement book it says thgat the low end of scores in some sections for even top top tier schools are in the 4-6 area. Lets say person X (I wonder who that is?) has an 8 in verbal, should he be concerned that his or her application will get thrown out because of it like it would be in most Ontario schools?

2) What kind of restrictions do schools that accept Canadian students put on out of country applications? If my stats meet what is average for each school I am applying to, should I be concerned that they are going to throw out my application because I am a Canadian student. I just don't get why everyone hsa these crazy 3.8 GPA and 30+ MCAT scores are freaking out because htey didnt get in anywhere. Whats up with that? THere are so many schools in the States.

Some issues that I have found with this forum. If someone more knowledgable can help me that would be appreciated.

1) Why is it that some peopel are freaked out if they have under 10 in any sections. I was under the impression that American medical schools looked at your raw score. For my Medical School Admission Requirement book it says thgat the low end of scores in some sections for even top top tier schools are in the 4-6 area. Lets say person X (I wonder who that is?) has an 8 in verbal, should he be concerned that his or her application will get thrown out because of it like it would be in most Ontario schools?

2) What kind of restrictions do schools that accept Canadian students put on out of country applications? If my stats meet what is average for each school I am applying to, should I be concerned that they are going to throw out my application because I am a Canadian student. I just don't get why everyone hsa these crazy 3.8 GPA and 30+ MCAT scores are freaking out because htey didnt get in anywhere. Whats up with that? There are so many schools in the States.

1) because that guy who has an 8 in VR probably got in due a publication in nature or due to a patent he got regarding a drug.

2) The restrictions is that for a lot of schools (and this is interesting) if a school admits a lot of their own state students then they get increasing funding. Pretty interesting stuff. Your school is not know. They don't know what a 3.8 from UWO or Queen's is. It IS harder for Canadians to get in than for US grads. Don't believe me? check out the stats on the aamc website which say that the average canadian matriculant had a 33 mcat vs the 30 average.

Secondly, we are all very pessimistic and you know what, it serves us well most of the time. Bobo was scared of his international status, and applied to 35 schools. He now has 10 interviews. He will be so good at interviewing it will seem like a walk in the park come Canadian interviews. My pessimism right now about me likely needed a super stellar interview at case has me preparing for it like I have never prepared before. If we all weren't so pessimistic, we wouldn't be doing so well with all the interviews we have (See interview thread forums).

There is only 1 person, and that was a couple years ago, who got in with a less than 30 mcat. she had a 29 mcat and a 3.9 and she got in MSU.

30+ mcat i can understand, but 3.8+ gpa is not required. I would say 3.6-3.7+, but I have seen people get lower and get in

OP it is all personal. To me, I would say 32+, 3.7+ for a GOOD chance. Others would say 30+, 3.6+ for a GOOD chance. To me, a good chance is something that is pretty likely to happen, but a good chance for someone else is something that is not likely to happen but not impossible either.

THanks for the help guys... I can understand the pessimism...

Im just really concerned because im looking at a 12/10/8 R (8 in verbal) with a 3.7 and these boards make me feel like I don't have a fighting chance. My EC's are pretty good, but its not like I have any publications or have won the nobel prize.

Are the 2nd tier schools Im applying to going ot throw my app out because of that 8?

and one more thing, that 4-6 thing, i bet you my pinkie finger that guy/girl was an URM.

For a Top 10 school, even URM status can't circumvent a 4-6...lol.

Dunno where you heard such a thing OP, but you're right - no need to freak if you score under 10 BUT you can certainly sleep better knowing that you have at least 10 in all sections.

A VR 8 is fine.

2) What kind of restrictions do schools that accept Canadian students put on out of country applications? If my stats meet what is average for each school I am applying to, should I be concerned that they are going to throw out my application because I am a Canadian student. I just don't get why everyone hsa these crazy 3.8 GPA and 30+ MCAT scores are freaking out because htey didnt get in anywhere. Whats up with that? THere are so many schools in the States.

It definitely is harder for Canadian students to gain an actual acceptance. Case in point, look at Rosalind Franklin University. Their average matriculant GPA is 3.5 and 30 MCAT. But you'd be hard pressed to find an international student that got in with those stats like that.

Many private schools feign equal treatment for Canadian students, but they usually have an unsaid quota in place, which can vary from school to school. And let's also keep in mind that Canadians aren't the only international students applying either. There are lots of non-Canadian international students already studying in the US and also applying for med school. So, there's plenty of competition, but only a few spots at every school (with the exception of Wayne State which usually takes in 15-20 Canadians every year I think).

Archived