Premed 101 Forums

Academic Heavy Schools?

abcwxyz

Hey guys,

I have two questions:

I don't know much about the American application process but from what I understand, it doesn't seem like they do very regulated rankings. What I mean by this is:

60% GPA

15% MCAT

25% Interview

etc...

Is this true of all schools (ie: it's more of a holistic approach) or do they just not release their evaluation process?

Secondly: are there any schools that weight academics very heavily? And what schools would rate extracurriculars heavily? I'm particularly interested in any schools where a high MCAT would make an interview and acceptance very likely. I have a 4.0 and 41S and decent extracurriculars (research for years but no publications outside of a student journal, hospital volunteering, 1 trip volunteering abroad) but was curious as to what schools would apply a more objective approach that I could rely on.

Thanks for the help!

Really, man? Really?

Christ.

You have a 41S and a 4.0. Apply to any of the top 20 and as long as you don't defecate on your interviewer's desk during the interview, you'll probably get into any given school.

Even then, they might just think you are slightly eccentric but perfectly good doctor material.

• 2 weeks later...
lol.... but seriously, does anyone know whether there are "academic heavy" schools?

Yes, the schools in the Top 20 are "academic heavy" and in particular, the Top 5 are MCAT "whores", especially WashU.

Don't waste your money. With your stats and ECs, you are very likely to get in somewhere in Canada, be it your home province or even OOP. If you're applying to the US, I'd stick to the top 10 schools only. Even at that, I'd just stick with 5 at most.

Schools don't "reveal" any formulas like the example you provided but a quick glance through mdapps will reveal which schools favor high stats.

You really shouldn't try to understand the application process, it just makes you more confused.

There's no such things as an "objective approach" haha.

My take on your situation is that your numbers are definitely top notch and will get you far but they're not going to make up for the lack of superb EC's.

Honestly, just by reading your description, I can't say that you'd be a shoo-in for a top-tier school.

You definitely have a strong shot but it really depends on other variables too like your essays, interviews, and EC's for an acceptance.

But you will get in somewhere for sure (for sure).

And for the US application, I believe MCAT score is taken much more seriously and it'll open doors for you but you've actually got to get in there, do your little dance, and make them want you badly.

I'm a bit pessimistic about this process because I myself have been put on hold post-interview, so take my words with a grain of salt.

I think it'd be better for you to focus on improving your EC's at this point rather than trying to figure out the process. (although it is important to know the process; apply early!)

I have a 4.0 and 41S

gg.

Really, man? Really?

Christ.

You have a 41S and a 4.0. Apply to any of the top 20 and as long as you don't defecate on your interviewer's desk during the interview, you'll probably get into any given school.

lol...

• 2 weeks later...
You really shouldn't try to understand the application process, it just makes you more confused.

There's no such things as an "objective approach" haha.

My take on your situation is that your numbers are definitely top notch and will get you far but they're not going to make up for the lack of superb EC's.

Honestly, just by reading your description, I can't say that you'd be a shoo-in for a top-tier school.

You definitely have a strong shot but it really depends on other variables too like your essays, interviews, and EC's for an acceptance.

But you will get in somewhere for sure (for sure).

And for the US application, I believe MCAT score is taken much more seriously and it'll open doors for you but you've actually got to get in there, do your little dance, and make them want you badly.

I'm a bit pessimistic about this process because I myself have been put on hold post-interview, so take my words with a grain of salt.

I think it'd be better for you to focus on improving your EC's at this point rather than trying to figure out the process. (although it is important to know the process; apply early!)

Thanks for the response.

Archived