Premed 101 Forums

carving

Hi, i was wondering how much practice most people do for the carving section. I'm only applying to uwo and uoft; apparently they don't consider the score. But i know they still see it, so i still want to do reasonably well on it. Is practicing with the 12 soaps that the cda sends in their prep package enough?

I think CDA sends only 6 practice soaps with the prep kit...

I would recommend you actually try to do well on all components - including the carving. You never know, you might want to use those scores to apply to another school in the future that does consider the carving. A good carving score certainly won't hurt any application :)

Hi Mare, thanks for the reply! I actually got 12 soaps in the prep package from the CDA when i signed up for the dat. I may have added on an extra six to my order at the time, but I don't remember for sure.

I've got about 3 weeks until the test and I've only done 3 soaps and a couple of chalks. Right now i've got 4 patterns i'm practicing with, 1 from the CDA and 3 from an IQ kit.

I'm planning on doing one soap per day for the next three weeks, do you think that will be enough? Also, I find for marking the soap, its really hard to write with the sharpie marker they provide, I can barely get the ink to show up on the soap. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks for your help!

Yeah I was getting frustrated with the marker too, so now i just use a sharp pencil. If you hold the pencil in your strong hand firmly and slide the soap along the table you can make nice straight longitudinal lines pretty fast. (works for me anyway) I've done 12 soaps and im getting another 6 pack in the mail soon so I hope that'll be enough practice.

you know how using a pencil leaves no marker colour marks or whatever on the soap...so do you think the graders will think you cheated by rubbing the marker off?? when you really just used a pencil?

But even if you did use marker and rubbed it off, why would that be considered cheating?

From my understanding, the DAT as a whole usually doesn't account for very much in the overall consideration of your application. So doing poorly on one section of the DAT doesn't necessarily mean you won't get in (as was stated above) but you need to have a high GPA and interview scores to make up for it!

I always used the marker for my carvings - never used the pencil... so it's personal preference!

• 2 months later...

Archived