Premed 101 Forums

MCAT rewrite?

Violet

you might barely make the cutoffs in Canada. Last year the cutoff at western for PS was a 9. So you may be in luck in Canda.

Its certainly above average in the states. But being a canadian applicant, I don't know if you can get away with that score.

If you feel you could have done better, then rewrite.

Rewrite it in January if you believe that you can improve your score. It's a good score, but an iffy one because you did not hit 10's in each section.

If I were in your shoes and were a year away from applying, I'd do it again and leave myself enough time to try it a third time if I had to.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

I highly doubt I'd make any improvements by writing during the school year. But I think I could if I rewrote in the summer. From what I've read on the board, you can still complete primaries despite your score not being released, so rewriting in, say, late july or early august shouldn't be a problem...?

I'm a bit scared of dropping in the written section though, I felt like I lucked out with those prompts. Blargh.

you are in a similar boat that i was in. i would write end of may or june and then start working on those apps. realize that doing it concurrently can be tough especially with a job so if you take 4 weeks off in may and just rage you could start the primary in june (earlier if you start thinking about activities and statement) and submit when you know your score (july). this a) lets you control your submission B) allow time should you need to rewrite

i do agree a january test date is ideal though

I would say you're probably ok for the Ontario schools like the others already have said because last year a 9 in PS is ALL that's needed for every ontario school.

Applying to the schools in the states though, a 30 might bring you less advantage, because according to AAMC the average matriculant has an MCAT total of 33. I would suggest you write your MCAT in may-early june though because even if your AMCAS is verified and everything, they will wait for your completed MCAT scores to review your application.

actually is it favorable to write January 30th for American schools? i.e. do you think people tend to score less on that exam and prepare better for the ones later in the spring? (hence a higher chance of you scoring higher).. or is it really pretty much the same?

i have no preference on when to write but would prefer to get done with it as soon as possible and would just like to know if there is any disadvantage to write on the first day that u guys might know of

thanks!

actually is it favorable to write January 30th for American schools? i.e. do you think people tend to score less on that exam and prepare better for the ones later in the spring? (hence a higher chance of you scoring higher).. or is it really pretty much the same?

i have no preference on when to write but would prefer to get done with it as soon as possible and would just like to know if there is any disadvantage to write on the first day that u guys might know of

thanks!

Reading from what others have said, I think you should attend the January mcats only if you think you're well prepared for it without the finals having a major effect on your scores. The august mcats were indeed somewhat harder on avg than the may mcats, but since the test is curved, it really depends on how you perform when faced with hard problems for the tests in late summer. The May mcats were around the level of the aamc practice mcats as far as I know.

Archived