Premed 101 Forums

How many American Schools do NOT Require English?

J.P.87

Hi all,

Just writing to get a general feeling for how many American med schools (roughly) do not require an english credit. I have all of the sciences and will complete my physics requirement soon. I just wanted to know how many schools I would be able to apply to just having all of the sciences + physics?

Is it enough to have a good shot at getting in somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!

....I'm going to say a handful of schools dont require English.

I think all the ones I applied to required English. Too many schools in the US to know exact #s. Easiest way is to get your hands on a copy of the MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements - available through AAMC and Amazon) and look through there.

Yes, it's fine as long as the prereqs are finished before you matriculate.

I was planning on taking English throughout my 4th year, but if I ended up not attending med school in the US it would be a waste. Also some schools are a lot more lenient, so intense reading/writing courses in other subjects are fine. So I'll just take a couple 1 month lit classes during the summer if I need to.

As long as you receive a grade for the courses it's fine.

Yes, it's fine as long as the prereqs are finished before you matriculate.

I was planning on taking English throughout my 4th year, but if I ended up not attending med school in the US it would be a waste. Also some schools are a lot more lenient, so intense reading/writing courses in other subjects are fine. So I'll just take a couple 1 month lit classes during the summer if I need to.

As long as you receive a grade for the courses it's fine.

Thanks for the response!

So, credit/no credit is not fine? As you don't receive a grade?

I have just the right answer to your question OP, lol. Roughly 20 "Canadian Friendly" schools in sonyviao's list don't need english. Crossing out schools that aren't really Canadian friendly (Hawaii, Mayo, Washington St. Louis..), I applied to a few top tiers, most mid-tiers and low-tiers that don't need english requirements last year. I have to say that it greatly diminishes your chances though, because the most Canadian friendly schools need English requirements after all.

Schools that you can look into include:

Albany

Rosalind Franklin

UVM

Case Western

EVMS

Tufts

Wake forest

Jefferson

perhaps Dartmouth, U of Virginia and Feinberg too

Don't bother: UofPenn, Brown, Chicago-Pritzker, Indiana

Yeah, those schools don't require English up front

It's not hard to get those ENGL credits though

I will be completing mine come this winter through Athabasca. It's expensive, though...

Speaking of UPenn, do you guys think there's any point in going through with the secondary? One of my refs isn't coming through, so I'm thinking of withdrawing my primary. Plus, I have yet to see a CDN that has gotten an interview there.

I know UPenn's undergrad is extremely Canadian-friendly which may be why people got that misconception about the medical school. Their website even says that you had to have had at least one year in a US post-secondary institution to be considered. However, if you're a Canadian that went to an ivy for undergrad, you are on an equal footing with the US applicants. I'm almost positive that's where all their "international" matriculants come from.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

shoot I forgot about this thread

I'll be doing ENGL 211 and 255

I was thinking of taking one of the lower end courses in the 100s but don't want to risk it not qualifying

If there's anyone from queens maybe we could start a study group for this during the winter. I'm aiming for 90+ just in case I don't get in this year and need to have them counted towards my post-bacc for next year's cycle.

yeah, i have a few writing-intensive courses (two ethics courses, one philosophy, one computing), but I don't want to narrow my chances.

anyway, if anyone is interested in a queen's engl athabasca study thing, pm me

it'd be nice even to just know others doing it

• 3 weeks later...
Guest viscous

since this thread is related to English credit pre-reqs, let me get this straight. I want to apply to the US as soon as the aamcas apps come out. However, I would not be able to take my remain 0.5 english credit till second semester of summer i.e. starts in July and end in August (so far preliminary timetable). Can I finish my application by mid of June and will it be reviewed even if I dont have English pre-reqs satisfied at that point in time? Or would they (adcom) wait and hold back from reviewing my app till I successfully complete the remaining 0.5 Eng credit and update my aamcas app with the required changes? any help would be greatly appreciated.

yeah, i have a few writing-intensive courses (two ethics courses, one philosophy, one computing), but I don't want to narrow my chances.

anyway, if anyone is interested in a queen's engl athabasca study thing, pm me

it'd be nice even to just know others doing it

I'm doing them in the summer (May - August) - I'm in TO.

viscous, you don't have to have the prerequisites done before you apply. They simply have to be completed before you start medical school.

Depending on where I'm accepted, this summer I may have to take either two english or one chem (some schools won't take my writing courses, and some won't take my AP chem, but I didn't have credit room to take more electives so I'll only take them if neccessary).

One question...how hard is it to register for classes at say, UofT, if you've already graduated?

viscous, you don't have to have the prerequisites done before you apply. They simply have to be completed before you start medical school.

Depending on where I'm accepted, this summer I may have to take either two english or one chem (some schools won't take my writing courses, and some won't take my AP chem, but I didn't have credit room to take more electives so I'll only take them if neccessary).

One question...how hard is it to register for classes at say, UofT, if you've already graduated?

Not too difficult if it's for the summer.

Archived